Tightening exhaust header bolts?

I recently put a new pro circuit exhaust on my crf230 and according to the manual the torque spec for the header bolts is 15 foot lbs.  I got to about 10 foot lbs and they started making a weird sticky/squeaking sounds so I stopped there immediately (I didn't want to strip out one or both of the exhaust studs).  I am sure this is plenty tight but I am just wondering if you guys actually torque them to 15#'s or just go by feel?  Also I did use a new oem exhaust gasket.

I have a slight popping/crackling on decel so this is the reason I ask.  I am running a 45 pilot jet and even with the fuel screw out a full 3 turns it crackles sometimes.  I do have a 48 pilot ready to try when I get some time but have read that an exhaust leak can also cause this and wasn't sure if I hadn't "crushed" the copper exhaust gasket enough to get a good seal.  Thanks!

Thanks Confederate,  I will check them the next time I ride it to see if they need to be snugged up again.

took my bike for a quick ride to get the header good and hot then tightened the exhaust header bolts/nuts nice and snug by hand (no torque wrench).  I could see the header pipe get pushed just a bit farther into the head so I knew it was the gasket crushing.   No more popping on decel now!  Thanks again for the suggestion to warm the bike up and re tighten Confederate!  Runs and sounds perfect with the fuel screw out about 2 turns.  Just happy there is no need to pull the carb back off..... for now.  :thumbsup:

45 pilot, 120 main and the '03-'05 needle w/ the clip in the 4th position.  I also got the kouba extended fuel screw.  At first I had just purchased the d shaped bit to adjust my fuel screw but while trying to get the bit seated on the screw to adjust it I actually turned the screw all the way out until it dropped on the floor.  :facepalm:  I knew when I ripped the carb off again the stock fuel screw wasn't going back in it lol.

Thanks to everyone for all the great jetting recommendations.  After reading a lot of jetting threads it was pretty clear what jets/needle I needed and what clip position on the needle.  Bike starts and runs absolutely perfect now that the exhaust leak has been addressed.  Next on my list is suspension for sure....

45 pilot, 120 main and the '03-'05 needle w/ the clip in the 4th position.  I also got the kouba extended fuel screw.  At first I had just purchased the d shaped bit to adjust my fuel screw but while trying to get the bit seated on the screw to adjust it I actually turned the screw all the way out until it dropped on the floor.  :facepalm:  I knew when I ripped the carb off again the stock fuel screw wasn't going back in it lol.
Thanks to everyone for all the great jetting recommendations.  After reading a lot of jetting threads it was pretty clear what jets/needle I needed and what clip position on the needle.  Bike starts and runs absolutely perfect now that the exhaust leak has been addressed.  Next on my list is suspension for sure....

Yes, we all agree "for sure"