Do I need a new clutch???

I was wondering if these are signs of needing a new clutch pack

1. Doesn't go into neutral when stopped

2. When I pull in the clutch and shift into first it creepes forward and the engine Rpms go down. (I have adjusted it as far as it can go)

3. Slips neutral a lot.

How many hours on the bike? As for the first issue my bike does it as well. It's a 17 ktm250sxf and it's a pain to get into neutral. If you pull in the clutch and it's not dissingaging you might need a new clutch basket or plates. I'd check the clutch first and make sure you don't have big notches in the basket.

Three things to answer you

1. Do the fibers measure at or above the minimum thickness labled in the manual? 

2. Do the steels sit flat on a piece of glass or a mirror? 

3. Do the springs measure at or above the specced resistance labled in the manual?

Neutral issues sound like detent spring.

Notches are more a release issue. But look  those when youre in there. If theyre deep enough I suppose but the creeping sounds like skinny fibers. But notches youd see the same issues with a brand new clutch. Again more issues on release, the squeeze will happen. Forced by hand. The release is hindered by notches or weak springs. Hence why I think fibers. Measure them.

pull cover off and look for notching in the basket where the clutch fibers ride

Down load a factory service manual and READ how to maintain your bike, or continue to receive the wrath of those who can't comprend how you can own a bike and not know how to keep it in good shape.

If you just wait till something breaks before you maintain it, you are in for a world of hurt...

Not trying to be mean, just trying to be your BIKE DAD.

• Like 1

What oil are you using?

The notches could've been there from a previous owner too.

Take your time. Be smooth. Whether or not this is your issue, this would be good to do while youre in there...however, I wouldn't do this while its on the bike. And some dont have the tools to take clutch basket off...but if you got an impact take it off. Vice grip a fiber and a steel together if you dont have a basket holder tool. And I hope you have a torque wrench, thats how it goes on.

20170627_184510.jpg

20170627_184610.jpg

yea im not sure what causes it. But yes i file mine smooth atleast one time.

• Like 1

On 28.06.2017 г. at 6:49 AM, notoriousE-R-I-C said:

What oil are you using?

The notches could've been there from a previous owner too.

Take your time. Be smooth. Whether or not this is your issue, this would be good to do while youre in there...however, I wouldn't do this while its on the bike. And some dont have the tools to take clutch basket off...but if you got an impact take it off. Vice grip a fiber and a steel together if you dont have a basket holder tool. And I hope you have a torque wrench, thats how it goes on.

20170627_184510.jpg

20170627_184610.jpg

Are you able to describe in details how to fix the basket and make it smooth?

Sure. I buy a fine file an inch wide. Eye dropper some oil onto it. And just basically let the weight of the file be the only pressure and stir it like coffee. Circular motions. Slow and steady. The amount of pressure I put on it is just my hand making it level. I put the basket in a vice, lightly, so its held straight and sturdy. Now all I have to focus on is my hand stirring it level. Some type of straight edge to check from time to time. 

This is the outer basket which is the most grooved.

Inner basket. All i can do is basket in vice. Either same file or preferably not as wide. The one I use on inner basket is less than a cm wide. Oil it. And its just in and out you can do on this. I use more pressure. The 90° of where your filing will meet with the 90° of the files side edge, keep it all flat and just go in and out. But inner basket is less likely to be as bad as outer.

And being uneven a stroke or two is not the end of the world you just dont want to round 90° edges.

The baskets metal is softer than the file. So just stir coffee. The downwards pressure comes from you making level strokes. And what youre filing should be still. Not wobbling in your left hand while youre sawing logs with your right.

Many thanks for the explanation, I have only one question -  how do hold/fix the basket while you work on it. 

Vice. Theres metal ones and theres wood ones. It just needs to be held. Youre doing it by hand. Not by air tools or electric tools. It wont move. If you dont like a metal vice, stuff a rag in first. Its all not to complicated.

Ive NEVER owned an aftermarket basket. Never needed it. And Ive done 30 year old bikes like this. Even if it shows no issues. You having seen ruts will bother your soul. If youre in there, do this. Youll have peace of mind which can make you seconds faster or your trip days longer.