Changing fork oil

I've been watching videos on how to go about changing fork oil and in every one they do new seals too. I have got fairly fresh seals but just want to go to diffrent wt oil and freshen it up. to do this can I simply take the springs out and drain then refill to spec hight? 

I've had good luck cleaning my seals with the forks disassembled. Usually some grit causes the leak. This is a gamble, and assumes the seals aren't old and crusty. Usually better to spend $20 just to be sure, but I wouldn't hesitate to save a ride day by cleaning when new seals aren't available. Personally, I haven't had any luck cleaning while assembled with a Seal Saver, tear offs, etc. However, others have.

Good luck!

4 hours ago, 05sx250 said:

I've been watching videos on how to go about changing fork oil and in every one they do new seals too. I have got fairly fresh seals but just want to go to diffrent wt oil and freshen it up. to do this can I simply take the springs out and drain then refill to spec hight? 

Yep, it takes about 30 minutes and is really easy. If you can download the Fork Manual so you know what amount of oil etc.

I leave them upside for about an hour to drain.

Mine take 530mm so I measure that out, put 3/4 oil in then move the rod up and down for a while.

I think on some forks you never get 100% of the oil out even if left inverted overnight,

only if you fully dis-assemble and flush them can they be considered 'empty'.

If you have closed chamber type forks, you also likely have measure a certain volume of oil rather than the level / height,

meaning whatever amount is left inside the tube adds to the amount you measure going back in.

On both my CRF250X and YZ125, I have never drained the same amount that was initially poured into the outer tubes,

there is always 20cc's or so less that comes out even when left to drain overnight.

I'm sure there's easily 5cc of oil simply coating the spring if you don't rince it off.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1