2013 CRF 450R Questions

Hey so i just got a used 2013 crf450r after a long break from riding.  Im in the Air Force as a Airframe mechanic so I know my way around a Jet than i do dirt bikes mechanically besides basic maint. I just had a few questions about setups because ive never owned a bike past 06. 

1. Kinda dumb maybe to start out with but i noticed that revving the bike i don't reach a rev limiter. No I'm not over here revving it trying to find it lol but i have given it a couple snaps of the throttle just to test it out but i get nothing and i dont wanna &%$#@! anything up by over reving it. any info on the rev limiter at all is much appreciated. Looking around the internet on how it works and how to adjust it (if thats possible) and nothing comes up. Im used to a 2 stroke just revving the shit out of it to clean it out every once in a while. i replaced fluids, replaced air filter, spark plugs, and radiators. Havnt touched motor at all cuz as it sits it runs a drives fine. haven't actually taken it out on trails or anything yet.

2. What are some things i can do to make it run efficiently in high heat climates. Im stationed in Vegas and the last month has been Above 100. Owners manual said higher temps run 10W40 oil so i have that and i run engine ice for coolant. Anything else?

3. Pretty much any other info or tips or info on it would be appreciated too.  Sprocket/chain setups for desert riding etc.

crf450.jpg

Frequent oil changes, I do mine every 4 hours or so. Seems like it's very common for fuel to find its way into the engine oil on the older fuel injected Hondas, thinning out the oil, if you don't change it frequently, you'll lose the bottom end from poor lubrication.

I wouldn't worry about the rev limiter, you don't need to rev a four stroke to "clean it out" like we did with the smokers.

Watch the lower chain guide, the '13's go through them pretty quick.

Not sure about gearing for desert riding, but I'd definitely go with an IronMan rear sprocket, 450's eat the aluminum ones so fast it's ridiculous.

NoToil PowerFlow kit, oil and filters, wash your filters in the washing machine!

Enjoy the bike!

• Like 1

The rev limiter is 11,500+. I forget exactly where it is, but its there. The fuel in the oil a real thing. You can get oversized radiators off ebay pretty cheap. They're better than what the price tag would suggest. But the engines dont run as hot as what a lot of people think. They'll puke coolant occasionally, and people think they're over heating. Your car does it every day. But its got a catch tank, so you dont see it. Typically if youre moving along 15-20mph, they'll run 100 degrees hotter than ambient temps. 200-205, not really all that hot, but hot enough to puke the coolant past the cap. Running more water than coolant helps. Distilled water absorbs and transfers heat better than ethylene glycol.

If you're going to be slogging along at 10mph, slipping the clutch in 100 degree weather, expect problems. If I were riding in 100+ a lot, Id run 20w50 engine oil. Finding it these days is the problem (without spending $10 per quart)

• Like 1

Yea I got some radiators off Amazon for like 90 bucks L and R the only thing is they are slightly bigger so the plastic shrouds are tight around the bottom but no biggie.

As for the rev limiter I don't really care too much about it just wanted some info on it because every YouTube video is of some kid just sitting there wide open to show it off lol. 

But I appreciate the info! 

Dont get tempted to pull the louver off the front of the radiators. They direct air where it needs to go and protects the radiators without blocking the air flow. I had a set of these trick radiator guards a couple decades ago that were strong and super protective...and wouldn't let hardly any air through at all. I ended up using mine for a BBQ grill.