09 XC-W Severe Oil Burning, advice needed

I've done some searching and reading but still looking for advice on my specific issue.  I have a 2009 450 XCW.  Last couple years it was doing the typical slight usage of oil that I would just add a little here and there, but was never a major concern.  This year when I started riding Oil is dropping rapidly.  It use to just smoke on start up but now I am burning smoke all the time.  Everyone says I'm smoking like a 2 stroke.  I can visually see my oil dropping when I stop and check it every 20 min or so.  I have noticed some oil spray coming out the breather tubes (not connected to carb anymore) but that may or may not be a result of me possibly over filling at times.  Its definitely burning though.  I also notice (and supported by the guys I ride with) excessive smoke when doing a hill climb or romping on the gas.  The positive thing though is I have not really seen to much in a drop of performance if any.

With all that in mind, what do you think is wrong and if you were me, what would be the order of things you would change/repair to solve the issue?  I really appreciate the help.

Thanks

intake/exhaust valve seals is first place to look then how much is "lots" ? can you measure usage ? any of the shifter or case seals leaking ?

clean Muffler and repack with new material it may be cause of smoke.

39 minutes ago, Airboss/oc said:

intake/exhaust valve seals is first place to look then how much is "lots" ? can you measure usage ? any of the shifter or case seals leaking ?

clean Muffler and repack with new material it may be cause of smoke.

None of the seals are leaking, ecpet for a bit that was blown out the breather, things are clean.

Usage is lots, I would say 100ml every 20 minutes or so.

The smoke is definitely burning oil and not just the muffler.   It's pretty heavy and thick at times. I also see some oil residue starting to build outside the muffler.  

How many hours on the motor?  Piston rings could be toast.

I thought the 09's had  ring issues and many burned oil (new). 6 years later with added wear.

• Like 1

If it smokes mostly after idling and only for a brief moment then suspect the intake valve stem seals.  If it smokes all the time then it's likely the oil control rings, and/or the valve stem seals are really bad.  In either event, might as well take it apart and see what's going on.  4-strokes have different rings for oil control and for compression, so it's possible to be burning oil and still have good compression.

I can't remember how many hours are on it, but i did buy it used and not sure what previous work had been done.  The bike is away from me right now but may be able to check tomorrow.

How much do rings usually cost?  Is it worth just doing rings or if your taking it out should you just do a whole piston kit?

Given my symptoms, do you guys think i would have to worry about doing any cylinder honing or re-sleeving or anything?  As I said, it seems to be running really good still.  I am confident with replacing pistons but don't even know where to begin if I had to get my cylinder worked on.  I don't even know who does that stuff.

Thanks

Once it starts to smoke, why would you continue to ride it?  Your bike is telling you to stop riding , and fix it.

You need to tear down the motor, and using the OEM service manual, start measuring parts for service limits.

As mentioned, valve stem seals will be absolutely gone, and your rings will be partially stuck do to all that oil, and the ex valves will be leaking to to the excessive carbon build up.

The additional burnt HC in the oil will also have a strong affect on the crank bearings, wrist pin, and ESPECIALLY  the oil passages. 

Do a leak down and see where it's at, add a little oil in the spark plug hole a test again. If leak down is decreased then it's your rings, if no change then it's your valves.

You need to do a top-end anyway so just jump in and do it

Can someone explain cylinder work.  Getting machined? honing? re-plated?  Is this usually necessary for my situation?  Just trying to plan ahead.

Thanks

13 hours ago, schlenk_dog said:

Can someone explain cylinder work.  Getting machined? honing? re-plated?  Is this usually necessary for my situation?  Just trying to plan ahead.

Thanks

It's speculation until you open it up, get an OEM service manual and find a local engine shop (automotive or bike) to check specs on the bore & piston for you. It all starts with the OEM service manual.

You've got a couple of choices, depending on your budget. Keep riding it till it blows, fix only the bare minimum to keep it going a little longer, or fix everything that is worn and ride it a lot longer.  

If the cylinder is glazed, not round or has groves in it then it will need service.  If it needs service, send it to a machine shop that handles cylinders, there are several to choose from, and ask their advice on what to do.  If the cylinder needs service then you will likely need a new piston sized to match.  All of this is standard stuff, it should be strait forward for the parts guys but might cost a bit.  The valve stem seals should be pretty easy to replace if you have the proper tools for removing the valve springs, but pay close attention because if you don't get the keepers back on properly then it it will cost you a bunch later.  The cheap way out is just put in new seals and call it good.  The better way out is to measure up the valves and make sure the stems are still round and the faces aren't too worn.  Also check the valve seats in the head.  It might be worth sending the head to a machine shop to have them handle it if you're not into this type of work.