how do I unbend expansion chamber?

previous owner tried crossing over a log and hit the expansion and it is now bent, any ideas how to get it bent the right way?

DSC04177.JPG

DSC04181.JPG

The pipe is probably not bent but a mount probably is. Look at where else the pipe is attached to the frame and see if it bent. You may have to find an identical bike to compare yours to.

20 minutes ago, William1 said:

The pipe is probably not bent but a mount probably is. Look at where else the pipe is attached to the frame and see if it bent. You may have to find an identical bike to compare yours to.

I can confirm that the pipe in bent, my bud down the road has the same bike as me so I took my pipe off and put his on and it lines up with the mounts and the exhaust port so the mounts are fine.

The bend is not apparent in the picture. A welded pipe that was bent would show damage where the sheet metal sections were folded together and welded.

You might be able to straighten it, you may not. You'll have to figure out where the bend is (use your friends pipe to compare) and how to apply the correct forces to straighten it. A body shop guy would understand exactly how to do this.

lets not overcomplicate this, no bent mounts and you dont need a second bike to compare to??  you dont need a body shop or have it computer laser aligned.  its a bent header... they bend every day.  100% guaranteed youll be able to straighten it. simple as that.  I bet 3 people somewhere out there bent theirs as I typed this.

throw the header in a vice. bite it anywhere. doesnt matter, as long as its solid.   put a long stick or steel rod, whatever,  hell, even a strong shovel handle would work if youre desperate INTO the pipe, and bend away, using the rod as a snipe.  takes no effort and very little brain power.  tweak it a little. roughly throw it back on the bike, no mounts or springs required..is it better? worse? what direction does it need?  back in the vice, another small bend.  chances are, itll be damn close by the second bend.  works like a charm.  I bent mine in about 6 different directions this weekend, getting it just PERFECT now!!.  it doesnt touch the frame. it doesnt touch the rads, AND it sits flat/square in the cylinder now.  took maybe 8-10 tries, each about 30 seconds each, small bends at a time.  its not rocket science... were only bending thin metal here about 1/4".  if you go too much, no big deal, bend it back.  if you go the wrong direction, no big deal, bend it back.

Edited by cdf450
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, cdf450 said:

lets not overcomplicate this, no bent mounts and you dont need a second bike to compare to??  you dont need a body shop or have it computer laser aligned.  its a bent header... they bend every day.  100% guaranteed youll be able to straighten it. simple as that.  I bet 3 people somewhere out there bent theirs as I typed this.

throw the header in a vice. bite it anywhere. doesnt matter, as long as its solid.   put a long rod or steel rod, whatever,  INTO the pipe, and bend away, using the rod as a snipe.  takes no effort and very little brain power.  tweak it a little. roughly throw it back on the bike, no mounts or springs required..is it better? worse? what direction does it need?  back in the vice, another small bend.  chances are, itll be damn close by the second bend.  works like a charm.  I bent mine in about 6 different directions this weekend, getting it just PERFECT now!!.  it doesnt touch the frame. it doesnt touch the rads, AND it sits flat/square in the cylinder now.  took maybe 8-10 tries, each about 30 seconds each, small bends at a time.  its not rocket science... were only bending thin metal here about 1/4".

I was typing something similar to this and I seen you're post show up . Good advice. 

And yes it's a very common problem . I had to straighten my 200 pipe like a dozen times. 

• Like 2

Just got back in from the shed. I heated it up and bent it into shape, it all lines up now.

4 hours ago, Michael S said:

Just got back in from the shed. I heated it up and bent it into shape, it all lines up now.

Are u the kid that used to hang in the pro section a few years ago?

2 hours ago, KTMRider4Life said:

Are u the kid that used to hang in the pro section a few years ago?

nope

• Like 1