What do I need to know for a CBR300R engine swap?

Just doing my research to figure out what I'm going to do with my bike. New mechanic thinks it likely that a main bearing is bad. I still plan to get a quote to fix that but I know it's going to be a lot. I'm also afraid to tear down a bike engine after the mess I made of my old CRF230L many years ago...

I want to figure out parts and costs for upgrading to a CBR300R engine, in case I can do an engine swap myself for cheaper than paying someone to rebuild the 250. Sounds like it's mostly a direct swap? I'm seeing CBR300R engines on ebay for about $1,000. What else is needed besides the engine itself? Any changes to wiring, electronics, and such? Is the instrument cluster compatible? I understand the exhaust needs to be modified for an O2 sensor.

Explain it to me like I know nothing. I can turn a wrench but that doesn't mean I always understand what I'm doing lol. Any guides/blogs from someone who has done this swap would be appreciated.

My dealer believes he can put the 300 crank in the 250 instead of swapping engine. he says its the same engine.

Found a few threads about this scattered around the Internet. Looks like I'd be in pretty good shape if I can find an engine, throttle body, and ECU, that sound right? I'm going to start looking around and see if I can find a complete salvaged CBR300R that still has a working engine. That way I know I'd have everything I need.

Engine, throttle body and ecu. 

FMF header pipe bolted straight on with no 02 sensor.

Stock airbox, K&N filter, FMF Q4 pipe. No ejk!

Need to change the plug of the 300's stator wire to plug into the 250's harness.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/honda-crf-300r-l-build-thread.1197111/

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/crf300l-converion-is-done.1130201/#post-28926068

• Like 1