Pipe for 2015 KTM 200 xcw

It's time for a new pipe for my trusty steed. The stock pipe is bent in multiple directions and I'm having a heck of a time getting it to not leak at the engine. I race harescrambles in western Pa and I ride the bike in every range of the RPM. I'd say mid-low the most. Originally I was going to get a Gnarly but I don't want to lose any power up top. Though I do like the thicker gauge steel it offers. The only mods I've done was the head mod and the JD kit. Per various articles I'm leaning towards the FMF/KTM Factory pipe due to its claimed adding power throughout the RPM range.

Any suggestions regarding this pipe or others that you have tried would be greatly appreciated! I may even buy another stock pipe. I like the way the bike operates with it! Any input on the material thickness between the stock and Factory pipe would help too.

Thanks!

Look into the SRT if you liked the stock pipe. Performs like the stock, much less expensive. Fits up perfect.

I have the Gnarly on my 03 and it runs out fine on top, you have to get the jetting right.

• Like 1

Stock pipe is very good for overall power. The fatty offers a bit more up top and its thicker than oem but not as thick as the  gnarly.  Id recommend either srt or the fatty. 

• Like 1

Stock pipe is very good for overall power. The fatty offers a bit more up top and its thicker than oem but not as thick as the  gnarly.  Id recommend either srt or the fatty. 

Looks like the SRT isn't offered for the '15 model year 200. At least their site says discontinued.
  • Like 1

I have the Gnarly on my 03 and it runs out fine on top, you have to get the jetting right.

This^^^

I just got the Gnarly. After adjusting my carb, I honestly can't feel a difference up top. Tbh I don't feel much of a difference down low either. I was really hoping to. But the thicker gauge steel still made it worth it for me.

Pitt, where are you located? I'm in Windber, outside Johnstown. Have you raced out here at Mountain Ridge?

This^^^
I just got the Gnarly. After adjusting my carb, I honestly can't feel a difference up top. Tbh I don't feel much of a difference down low either. I was really hoping to. But the thicker gauge steel still made it worth it for me.

Pitt, where are you located? I'm in Windber, outside Johnstown. Have you raced out here at Mountain Ridge?

I'm in Moon right by the Pittsburgh Airport. I haven't raced Mountain Ridge yet. I've done CRAs in the past but starting last year I've been doing AWRCS.
that's good to hear about the Gnarly. I was close to writing it off. I'm waiting to hear back from About the SRT pipe from the manufacturer if they have any left since they've been discontinued. If they still have any I'll probably go that route for now. Cheap and close to stock delivery from what I understand. I always figured I'd get a Gnarly but I've been riding more at higher RPMs and the "loss of the top end" got me a bit worried. But if jetting could fix it I'd like to have the thicker pipe too.

I'm in Moon right by the Pittsburgh Airport. I haven't raced Mountain Ridge yet. I've done CRAs in the past but starting last year I've been doing AWRCS. that's good to hear about the Gnarly. I was close to writing it off. I'm waiting to hear back from About the SRT pipe from the manufacturer if they have any left since they've been discontinued. If they still have any I'll probably go that route for now. Cheap and close to stock delivery from what I understand. I always figured I'd get a Gnarly but I've been riding more at higher RPMs and the "loss of the top end" got me a bit worried. But if jetting could fix it I'd like to have the thicker pipe too.

Ah ok. I'm in Coraopolis a couple times a year, but I don't really know the area very well.

Well tbh I'm probably not a good judge on the pipe. I don't pick up on little variances in bikes. I also heard that and it worried me, but I don't race. Most of my riding is technical woods stuff. But I'm wide open on a lot of the hill climbs (well, the lower portion of s lot of them) and don't really feel a difference in power.  

I do know that the pipe has a very different characteristic on bottom end. Not because I felt it, but because I had to go a full 1/2 turn richer on my metering rod on my Lectron carb. It developed a bad hanging lean idle with the Gnarly. But even the bottom I don't feel really any difference. Being that I've read the same experience from a number of other riders, some times I wonder if some of these incredible improvements people feel with their aftermarket mods aren't just a placebo effect. (Reeds for example)

Just my worthless .02 cents, as usual.

• Like 1

On June 27, 2017 at 11:57 AM, Pitt2003 said:

It's time for a new pipe for my trusty steed. The stock pipe is bent in multiple directions and I'm having a heck of a time getting it to not leak at the engine. I race harescrambles in western Pa and I ride the bike in every range of the RPM. I'd say mid-low the most. Originally I was going to get a Gnarly but I don't want to lose any power up top. Though I do like the thicker gauge steel it offers. The only mods I've done was the head mod and the JD kit. Per various articles I'm leaning towards the FMF/KTM Factory pipe due to its claimed adding power throughout the RPM range.

Any suggestions regarding this pipe or others that you have tried would be greatly appreciated! I may even buy another stock pipe. I like the way the bike operates with it! Any input on the material thickness between the stock and Factory pipe would help too.

Thanks!

I have a 200sx stock pipe (same as fatty) with several shorty's and a sparky to go with it, PM me if you're interested.

FWIW, I have run a 200sx fatty, Scalvini cone pipe, and a Gnarly on my 200.  I liked them all, but the Gnarly was the least friendly on connecting roads and faster stuff, great in the tight stuff though.  The Scalvini is as good as the Gnarly off idle, but better for faster stuff, the Fatty was pretty good everywhere, but a little less bottom (but very close) than the other 2.  Bigger difference in power running a shorty vs a sparky than the 3 pipes IMO.

Edited by poldies4

1 hour ago, Bron-Yr-Aur said:

Being that I've read the same experience from a number of other riders, some times I wonder if some of these incredible improvements people feel with their aftermarket mods aren't just a placebo effect. (Reeds for example)

Probably the truest statement I've read in a while.  I "feel" the difference, whether or not it's real??? 

I was chatting with a guy recently who had dyno'd a bunch of pipes, said the cone pipes (Scalvini in particular) added 5hp to top end, I think his dyno is jacked.  5 HP, from a pipe?  Not buying it, but subtle changes can be felt.  The gnarly sucked on the connectors, I was always in 6th looking for seventh gear, the bike wouldn't rev out, the other 2 were much better, but for fast stuff you can't beat the fatty imo.  

Edited by poldies4
  • Like 2

Probably the truest statement I've read in a while.  I "feel" the difference, whether or not it's real??? 

I was chatting with a guy recently who had dyno'd a bunch of pipes, said the cone pipes (Scalvini in particular) added 5hp to top end, I think his dyno is jacked.  5 HP, from a pipe?  Not buying it, but subtle changes can be felt.  The gnarly sucked on the connectors, I was always in 6th looking for seventh gear, the bike wouldn't rev out, the other 2 were much better, but for fast stuff you can't beat the fatty imo.  

My theory on the placebo effect was based on the kids who put a header and open exhausts on their EFI cars without tuning them. They think the car is so much faster based on the loud exhaust, not realizing that they've actually detuned their car and lost horsepower, since the EFI can't compensate for the now wide open exhaust.

Honestly, I wonder if my brain might be off, though. Simply because of having to adjust my carb with the Gnarly. It definitely affected the bike. Yet I felt nothing. Your experience of response off idle I believe very easily. Throttle response I would think would be an obvious change, since these are tuned exhausts. I've read riders experiences who said "my bike now pulls like a tractor" with the Gnarly. That's what I was hoping for, but unfortunately I don't feel it.

When I started realizing my possible numbness was on my street bike. Changing fork height in the tree, some riders actually said it "ruined" the handling of the bike. It left me scratching my head going "huh?" since I couldn't really feel the difference. Maybe just slightly, but ruined? No. So I don't know. Maybe the fact that I only occasionally ride my bikes to the full (or even nearly full) potential is why I don't pick up on things.

• Like 1

Sorry buddy. This has been bugging me all day. I hope I didn't come across as disagreeing. I was mostly just thinking out loud, trying to come up with a reason why my experiences are so different from other riders. It confounds me. Just hoping it came across that way, and not like I was calling BS on anyone.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bron-Yr-Aur said:

Sorry buddy. This has been bugging me all day. I hope I didn't come across as disagreeing. I was mostly just thinking out loud, trying to come up with a reason why my experiences are so different from other riders. It confounds me. Just hoping it came across that way, and not like I was calling BS on anyone.

Not at all, we each have our own experience's, ideally we share them here and learn.  It took me a while to notice the subtle, but I'm always looking for more comfort on the bike, some help, some don't.  What works for me isn't necessarily what works for others, but could be a starting point.  Never thought you were being contrary, just sharing your perspective. :)     

I can only offer my experience with the 2015 KTM 200 xc-w in regards to the stock vs. gnarly pipe.  After my stock pipe got roached trying to teach my brother-in-law how to ride (my mistake, looking back I probably should've started him on a Honda XR-80,) I purchased an FMF Gnarly Pipe based upon posts that I had read and the company's claims of performance.  I am very happy with the Gnarly pipe's affect on the character of my 200.  My experience is that peak power has been moved to the low to mid-range with a small sacrifice on the top end compared to the stock pipe.  The low to mid-range punch is noticeable though.  It suits my preferred riding style well, allowing me to short shift and ride a gear (or two) high rather than screaming it like a 125.  I would characterize the throttle response as almost electric making riding slow speed obstacles much more manageable compared to stock.  The pipe is also super thick and seems veritably indestructible.  When it comes to this pipe, I don't think the question is whether or not it performs as advertised (yes) but, rather, what type of performance character you want from your 200.

• Like 1

Ok now it's time that I may be eating crow. Went out for a long ride on the 4th. A few times really getting on the pipe, I noticed that my bike seemed to sign off early. Best I can explain is it felt like it hit a governor, or limiter. I need to check my jetting based on the post by [mention=15510]markit[/mention]. I didn't notice any pinging, or signs of being too lean. It just stopped pulling.

8 minutes ago, Bron-Yr-Aur said:

Ok now it's time that I may be eating crow. Went out for a long ride on the 4th. A few times really getting on the pipe, I noticed that my bike seemed to sign off early. Best I can explain is it felt like it hit a governor, or limiter. I need to check my jetting based on the post by [mention=15510]markit[/mention]. I didn't notice any pinging, or signs of being too lean. It just stopped pulling.

Gnarly/stock?

I have run stock, Gnarly, SRT (which is basically stock) and the ProCircuit on my 2013 with Electron Carb and my favorite is the PC for all rpm ranges.  The Gnarly regardless of the carb tuning signed off to early for my liking.  Stock still has possibly the best mid range, the PC tends to be a little softer from low to mid, where I would normally be expecting the bike to be on the pipe through half throttle on the stock pipe the PC has a little more throw in the throttle.  I find the PC to hang a little lower but it tucks in nicer on the side.  I may pick up a second to keep on the shelf.

12 minutes ago, Bron-Yr-Aur said:

Yes the stock silencer. You think that's what I'm feeling?

My gnarly fell flat the same as yours.   Word on the street is the oem pipe is basically a gnarly.  Pipe will dictate it more than silencer imo.  I have a pipe you need to try. 

My gnarly fell flat the same as yours.   Word on the street is the oem pipe is basically a gnarly.  Pipe will dictate it more than silencer imo.  I have a pipe you need to try. 

Hmm, maybe that's why I didn't feel a difference on the bottom? I had no complaints about the stock pipe performance-wise. The fact that it didn't seem much sturdier than a tin can is what I didn't like. I wish I had bought my guard before I destroyed my stock pipe. I did get a smoking deal on my Gnarly, though.

What pipe are you talking about??