Long time TT'r, New XR400 Owner

Over the years I’ve owned a few dual sports, street legal from the factory: XT, DRZ, CRF-L. Each one was lacking in one way or another. Heavy, underpowered and burdened with emissions crap. I always found myself modding the crap out of them to confidently take on aggressive woods / atv trails. Basically, I had a $3-4000 machine which I had to dump a bunch more $$$ into to get the performance I wanted. So,  I picked up this ‘99 XR400 for cheap money. For $1400 bucks, it needed tires, a chain and a carb cleaning. Bone stock mechanically, it already had more power than any of my previous DP’s (so there’s untapped potential). It came already set up with a BajaDesigns light kit, proTaper bars, Acerbis bark busters and an IMS 4.0 gallon tank. I tuned it up, added a Doubletake Mirror, RAM mounts for my GPS/Phone and I’m riding it a bunch and enjoying it very much!

18870098_1471929962828587_103055158_o.jpg.d99a9eb7e5f11f3f7ee47fa1fa02949c.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ThumperCurtis said:

@RomyThat's as STEAL for $1400. Show me the front with the Baja Designs pls. I'm looking at updating my front end.

This shot shows the front end but I think they changed it to an Acerbis headlight. It was a sweet deal, the thing came with 3 boxes of spares too, rear tire, gaskets, plastics, cables, seat, original tank, etc... 

!xr400r.jpg

5 hours ago, Romy said:

Over the years I’ve owned a few dual sports, street legal from the factory: XT, DRZ, CRF-L. Each one was lacking in one way or another. Heavy, underpowered and burdened with emissions crap. I always found myself modding the crap out of them to confidently take on aggressive woods / atv trails. Basically, I had a $3-4000 machine which I had to dump a bunch more $$$ into to get the performance I wanted. So,  I picked up this ‘99 XR400 for cheap money. For $1400 bucks, it needed tires, a chain and a carb cleaning. Bone stock mechanically, it already had more power than any of my previous DP’s (so there’s untapped potential). It came already set up with a BajaDesigns light kit, proTaper bars, Acerbis bark busters and an IMS 4.0 gallon tank. I tuned it up, added a Doubletake Mirror, RAM mounts for my GPS/Phone and I’m riding it a bunch and enjoying it very much!

18870098_1471929962828587_103055158_o.jpg.d99a9eb7e5f11f3f7ee47fa1fa02949c.jpg

dang dude, that tank will really get you some range! nice ride, I'm a big fan of the xr4's

Fabricated a custom rack for my Wolf-man tail bag... didn't think an aftermarket would work due to my aftermarket tail light which sets up high and at a weird angle. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 2

Aww SNAP @Romy! That looks awesome! Nice job on the fabrication. I wish I had a good welder so I could take on some of these projects. 

That's a helluva deal, I have that same tail bag on both my dual sports, nice job on the rack