XR650R chain adjuster bolt problem

My right side adjuster is loose thankfully, but when I try to adjust it outward it tightens and binds. Screw it in and it's fine. Weird but then I realized it must be corroded on the inside of the swingarm. Removing by force will wreck the aluminum threads in the arm. So I can cut it off slot it and screw it in till it falls inside the swingarm then follow up with silicone or expanding foam to entoumb it in there forever. Not crazy about this option. If I can introduce a rust remover inside the swingarm that might be better. Not sure if the arm is hollow from one side to the other, so I don't know what options I have to get a liquid in there. Any ideas?

Take swingarm off and point bolts up. Spray pb blaster. Let it sit. Do it again. Now just remove them and throw them in the recycling bin.  Once out. Tap the hole clean. Now put new bolt/nut in there with antiseize compound. At the least put oil. Thats steel bolts in aluminum threads for you. Get rid of the problem or make it worse.

Use oil or antiseize from now on. 

Ok, I'm always interested in adding to my chemical collection! I have boxes and boxes of spray paints and chemicals. I doubt there is any ozone left anywhere near my garage. So this stuff is going to run down the bolt and eat up all the corrosion that is keeping said bolt from turning and I will (hopefully) not cause further damage to the aluminum threads. Sounds better than a small funnel pouring metal rescue inside the swingarm. Heading to Home Depot after work. 

This stuff is another great penetrating oil. https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/258875/kano-aerokroil-penetrating-oil-and-bore-cleaning-solvent-aerosol?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Shooting%20-%20Gun%20Cleaning-_-Kano-_-258875&gclid=Cj0KCQjwp83KBRC2ARIsAGMWFzprCtv23JeTCL-JNRQv8FNvJViQ853GLvB0jzSg5SN5Q1ZdISh2o_waAuOZEALw_wcB

Heat is another thing that will help break the corrosion. A map gas torch has saved my butt a few times in similar situations.

• Like 1

a had one stuck i drilled a small hole in the swing arm and sprayed penatrating oil in there,after i got it out i sealed the hole with rtv

• Like 1

Only got as far as buying PB blaster and spraying it on the bolt.  Ran out of time. I hope the miracle will occur tonight. If wife is out visiting a friend as planned, I should be able to remove the swingarm and get this done. Hoping to have a victory picture after the extraction. 

• Like 1

You mean your wife doesn't know about this other affair?

• Like 2

Well, sort of. A big box with a used stock XRR exhaust arrived Tuesday instead of Thursday and she wanted to know what it was so I had to tell her it was for my new motorcycle restoration project. She kind of groaned and walked away, so yea, she kinda knows about it. ?  I have a great hiding place, nothing in there she needs! Happened by accident, but sure has made it easier to wait for the right time to break the news. Not that she was not warned of this impending project. The Aprillia (pictured) is resting in the garage for now. 

IMG_4658.JPG

Didn't want to show her a real POS that barely ran and then have to explain how it really is worth $2K and how, yes I'm going to pour even more money down that hole! She just can't visualize how that is a good thing, much less get excited about it. Ok she would get excited, but not in a good way. Not, yea there, yes! There! That's the spot! More like the OWWWW! You slammed the car door on my finger you MORON! kind of excited.

That's why we're on line looking for other idiots like ourselves that get excited about such fiscal irresponsibility. And I'm really excited about this one. I just hope I don't try to do the things I did in the mid 70s on my last dirt bike. I plan on being a responsible adult. (Yes the same responsible adult that hid a dirt bike from his wife). 

Edited by Brad Schulz
  • Like 5

I usually tell her, if you can go shopping & buy clothes and fixem up, and enjoy them & break even, DO IT!

I have been fortunate to not lose money on most of the things I own. (not including labor)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Invisible Piggie said:

If I don't include labor (mine) then yea, I'm good. But at $0.02/hr I'm in the hole big time. 

Not really alcohol, drugs, & bars could be worst!:wacko:

• Like 1

Waiting, waiting 

strangely It now does not want to turn at all?? Perhaps I turned it outward and left it with the corroded part engaging the threads. I previously put oil on the bolt and tried to run it in and out. Grr. Well I'm sure the PB Blaster is doing its thing now. 

Waiting some more......

IMG_4824.JPG

Waiting, waiting 

strangely It now does not want to turn at all?? Perhaps I turned it outward and left it with the corroded part engaging the threads. I previously put oil on the bolt and tried to run it in and out. Grr. Well I'm sure the PB Blaster is doing its thing now. 

Waiting some more......

IMG_4824.thumb.JPG.9deb500fc7a91f27f4cbacd3e55eae14.JPG

Heat man! Heat!

You are using an impact right?

I'm hoping the little lake of PB will have seeped down the threads by the time I get home and I can just run it in to get the PB coating everything and then hopefully run it out. I have a cordless Milwaukee that has a hammer drill function, so if tapping doesn't work, I may try that on low depending on how much hammering I get from it without it turning much. Very risky business here so I will be extremely cautious. I plan on being fairly gentle with this plan and only going at it for at a couple of minutes before switching to heat and cool cycles. I'm sure that will break things loose. I just don't want to bugger up the threads by being aggressive. Since the bike is in pieces, I'm in no hurry.

Edited by Invisible Piggie
can't type

The visible exterior bolt threads are clean, so you're unlikely to hurt anything by turning the bolt back inward.  You'll be turning the corroded part of the bolt threads out of engagement with the aluminum threads.

If there's a significant buildup of rust on the bolt threads inside the swingarm, no amount of oil or heat on the exterior part will remove that buildup.  They'll help though.  Once the bolt is turning freely on the clean portion of the threads.  You can try slowly turning the bolt in and out a short distance, many many times, so that the rust buildup is slowly and progressively knocked off by the first few aluminum threads.  If you're patient, maybe enough of the aluminum threads will survive to be functional.

Or thread the bolt into the interior of the swingarm, and drill an access hole in a non-structural area.  Many swingarms have factory drain holes.  Generally drilling a hole toward the middle (top to bottom dimension) of a beam has the least impact on strength.

Edited by heart_of_darkness

That is exactly my plan, I just didn't explain that part well. I think if it doesn't readily come out, I'm going back to plan B and get my tiny funnel and pour 4-5 oz of metal Rescue inside the swingarm, that stuff makes rust just dissolve and does not hurt the metals involved. Takes more time though. Which I do have. The cylinder head is due to arrive today, so I've got something to keep me busy while the chemicals do their job. I thank everyone for their help on this, sometimes it's just an off hand remark that saves the day and keeps me from opening the BFH drawer. 

a had one stuck i drilled a small hole in the swing arm and sprayed penatrating oil in there,after i got it out i sealed the hole with rtv

No need to drill a hole. Just take out a screw from the brake line holder or chain slider. Fill it full of wd40, boom done!