Sign in to follow this  

Yz250 with big bore

I just bought a 2000 yz 250 with a brand new 300 big bore kit on it. I got the bike and it was some what hard to start but I could get it to start. I rode it for a total of about 2 maybe 2 and a half hours on the new big bore kit and now I can't get it to start, the last time I had it running the bike wouldn't idle right, it would die if I didn't keep the RPM's up, the only way I could keep it running with out the throttle is by putting the choke on, even if I did that it would only run right for about 3 seconds then it would die. I thought that it might have something to do with jetting but im not sure. I also got a new coil because the spark was weak, the spark is better now but it still won't start. I think there might also be something wrong with the clutch, I don't know if the clutch thing would cause it to not start though. The bike has a new clutch cable but when I put the bike into gear when it isn't running then the wheel is pretty hard to turn and I don't think it's supposed to be like that. If anyone has any idea why the bike won't start, why it wouldn't idle right, what could be wrong with the clutch or what my jetting should be, please let me know. Thank you

I would make sure the pilot jet is clear. Only idling on the choke, is a common sign of a dirty pilot jet.

Clutch drag when not running may be caused by warped plates. Although you might not notice when the engine is running (except maybe it's hard to find neutral). Make sure you have 1/8" free play at the clutch lever.

Your pilot jet should be around 45?

• Like 2

I have the same exact set up as you. Not sure if the seller told you what they did as far as choices go if they went with millennium like I did but on my bike I picked that it will only run on 110 so if they didn't tell you I'd check with them if you can still get in contact to make sure you're using the correct fuel.