Sign in to follow this  

Powder coat my rims or spray can myself?

I want to paint my CBR250R rims black (probably gloss). I want to save money, I was wondering the probs and cons of doing it myself with spray cans, or should I spend the bit extra and get someone to powder coat for me? They have a few small spaces and cravaces, would it be easy enough to get into all those areas myself? 20170628_111354.jpg

Thanks

They make spray paint specifically for rims. Might want to try that.

The number one thing with painting them is the prep. the surface has to be sanded and completely clean. And in the end, no matter how meticulous you are with your prep, rattle can paint isn't going to last. And when it starts to peel, it goes from looking alright, to looking like crap in a hurry.

Powder coating, though more expensive, will come out looking great, and last indefinitely. You'll have to take your wheel bearings out as the coating gets baked in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes or so. Be careful with them, or best bet, replace with new ones when you get your wheels back from the powder shop.

If you're looking to spif the bike up to sell it, paint 'em. If you're looking to ride it for another couple years, powder coat.. 👍

• Like 4

On June 29, 2017 at 8:02 AM, OLHILLBILLY said:

The number one thing with painting them is the prep. the surface has to be sanded and completely clean. And in the end, no matter how meticulous you are with your prep, rattle can paint isn't going to last. And when it starts to peel, it goes from looking alright, to looking like crap in a hurry.

Powder coating, though more expensive, will come out looking great, and last indefinitely. You'll have to take your wheel bearings out as the coating gets baked in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes or so. Be careful with them, or best bet, replace with new ones when you get your wheels back from the powder shop.

If you're looking to spif the bike up to sell it, paint 'em. If you're looking to ride it for another couple years, powder coat.. 👍

Agreed with every word.. And with the prep part getting in the nooks and crannies they sell gray and red scuff pads sometimes at auto parts stores (if your going to spray paint them use the red, it leaves more abrsevive scriches for the paint to adhere to)  just start wit a light dust coat and every coat start in the corners and not leaving those spots for last and then trying to blast paint in there causing paint to build and run. 

• Like 2

All depends what your time's worth, but most powdercoating places offer blasting too, and I believe it's money well spent. I blasted and powdercoated my Tacoma wheels before I got new tires. Turned out awesome!
Plan on doing the same for my ZX600J when it comes time to shod with new tires.

Powder is too hot, I know a lot of people do it, but it is hot enough to affect the strength, even if not enough to be a problem in normal use.

I always spray them myself.

Clean 'em, then hit them with that red scotch pad with lots of warm soapy water (dish detergent is good), then prime them. Let 'em dry over night then sand them smooth with grey scotch (finer than red), I use this wet too. Let them dry completely. Spray them with something like This, should be tough as.