Cutting out / electrical issue 06' 300

I'm trying to track down a rather annoying problem with my 06' 300.  It's cutting out / hesitating as it goes through the revs. 

Pretty sure it's an electrical issue, as I'm on a fresh top/bottom end and new reeds.... and I've just noticed that the rev indicator on my trail tech voyager suddenly drops around 500-1000 rpm when the cut out happens.  Looking down at the "dash" as you're going WOT in 4/5th sure is fun!

I've tried a fresh plug, so that leaves the plug wire, an electrical short, or the CDI, right? Could it also be a faulty stator?

It could be any of those.

Look over all your electrical connectors for loose wires, corrosion and such.

Check the plug boot on the end of the coil wire to be sure it's secured well and that the wire isn't swollen with corrosion.

Find the troubleshooting electrical specs for checking the system with a volt/ohm meter. That's easier and cheaper than swapping out parts like the stator, CDI and coil to get a lead on what the problem might be.

How long was the bike apart during the rebuild and how long have you been riding it since the rebuild? Did this just start happening or right from the start after rebuild? Having a better understanding of the timeline can help determine if the problem could be something other than electrical. Example: It's been doing this since rebuild. The rebuild took a month to complete, during which the rest of the bike sat idle and the carb bowl possibly still full of fuel. That means gummed up jets and carb that you hadn't considered.

Edited by Trailryder42

1 hour ago, Trailryder42 said:

It could be any of those.

Look over all your electrical connectors for loose wires, corrosion and such.

Check the plug boot on the end of the coil wire to be sure it's secured well and that the wire isn't swollen with corrosion.

Find the troubleshooting electrical specs for checking the system with a volt/ohm meter. That's easier and cheaper than swapping out parts like the stator, CDI and coil to get a lead on what the problem might be.

How long was the bike apart during the rebuild and how long have you been riding it since the rebuild? Did this just start happening or right from the start after rebuild? Having a better understanding of the timeline can help determine if the problem could be something other than electrical. Example: It's been doing this since rebuild. The rebuild took a month to complete, during which the rest of the bike sat idle and the carb bowl possibly still full of fuel. That means gummed up jets and carb that you hadn't considered.

The bike was sitting for 6+ months over winter (in a heated garage) as it always does.

But I don't think it's the carb, because it's been running fine after the rebuild.  This issue only started happening a few weeks ago.  Also, I can see the RPM's suddenly drop on the tacho when the hesitation happens.  That's a clear indication of an electrical issue, right?

I sure hope it's not the CDI, because I just looked on RMATVMC and they don't sell that part.  They told me to check my KTM dealer.

Any idea where I can find the electrical specs for the bike?  I never was able to find a shop manual for it.

The tach is just reading RPMs. Anything that causes the engine to loose RPM, whether it's electrical or not, the tach will reflect.

Check this place:

http://www.ktm-parts.com/AOMC/OEMFINDER#/KTM/300_XC_Engine_-_2006/Ignition_System/1M06360005/06360031

I think I'd pull the stator cover and have a look at the ignition pick up.

I can't find anything online that gives the electrical troubleshooting specs. Seems my repair CD only goes back to 2011. Don't know if those figures would be relevant to a 2006.

What model 300, xc, xcw, exe,......?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trailryder42 said:

I think I'd pull the stator cover and have a look at the ignition pick up.

Looks like you were right on the money!  I just pulled the cover and I can see (behind the FWW) that the stator is loose.

Funny, but I've noticed that something didn't sound right when I was kick starting the bike, and of course kicking the bike is turning the FWW and rattling the loose stator.

Going to pull the FWW off and tighten the stator, and take her for a test.  Fingers crossed that this is the problem, but I bet it is.

Thanks for the help!  Not that it probably matters now, but it's an XC-W

Edited by Colorado^

Well, that was it!  Loose stator.

Thank you Trailryder42!  I've been trying to figure this out for two weeks.  So stoked right now!:banana:

• Like 1