Carburetor part removed, is it OK?

Hey guys, it's been a while.. sorry   My last ride saw mud so deep, that I dumped the bike on it's side at <3mph three times.  All three times, it was hard to restart, which I understand is normal.  But since then, sometimes it acts as though it fell on it's side and is hard to start.  When it happens, I've got to crack the throttle wide open to get it to start sputtering.  The last time I rode the bike, when I turned on the raptor petcock fuel started dumping out of the overflow hose.  The seat and float plunger are both new (less than 100 miles).

To see fuel coming out the overflow in a steady stream makes me think the floats are cocking and not rising with the fuel level, so I yanked the float bowl cover.  All looked to be fine.  The floats rise and lower normally without any evidence of binding.  When the floats reach level, the fuel coming from the seat stops flowing.

There's a part (#56 and called a ring on the Suzuki illustrated parts breakdown) which is a plastic clip-on part that snaps onto the carburetor under the floats.  I decided to take off and leave off.   Will this hurt anything?  When I got it back together and started it, it was hard to start again, but no fuel from the overflow hose, and once started, it's running fine and now restarts fine.

Thoughts?

Tom in Papua New Guinea

P6280031.JPG

hmmm... my carb doesn't have that part on either, and I am about to install my JD Jet kit.....

the PO removed it and put it in the Dynojet carb kit

If you tip a bike over it is going to leak fuel from the vent hose. That is just the way things are.

It's been awhile since I had a BSR apart but I believe the function of the part is a splash guard. It helps to keep the jets from sucking air in rough terrain. Probably doesn't do much since the slide will also slam shut and bounce around to on large enough impacts.

my thoughts are its part of the design although i dont fully understand the purpose i would want it in there .. i would venture  guess that if the bowl is removed 'on the bike' that part might be hard to hold in place during reassembly so it gets omitted ...

Toss it.  In or out, it has very little affect.

The O-ring under the seat is also new.  I replaced it when I replaced the seat and valve.

And to clarify a bit, the fuel coming out of the overflow hose didn't happen while the bike was tipped over on its side, it happened after I hadn't ridden the bike for almost a week, and when I pulled it out of the shed and opened the petcock, out came the trickle...  I figured the bowl had overfilled and that was the reason for the hard starting and why the throttle had to be wide open to get it to start...

Seems the general consensus is to leave it out, so we'll see how she does without it for a while and see if the hard starting goes away.

Thanks all!!

Tom in Papua New Guinea