XR250 - lowering

My project bike will double as a buddy bike once running, and one of my chums is a little challenged in the inner seam area, and i'm looking for a way i could lower a 1991 xr250 without too much trouble to revert to normal height when i want to ride it.

I see you can get shorter linkages for the rear suspension, but have heard that these will alter the spring rate as a result. Making it firmer is going the wrong way for a lighter buddy.

It was suggested that a shorter shock can be used, and i wondered if anyone had any experience in doing this or having it done. If this idea is ok, then is it a quicker/better swap than changing the linkage ? It means i could run a softer spring also for my lighter buddy.

any comments would be useful - thanks

Hi there FFman

I have an xr400 98 mod and im 5.9 and under 60 kg I found backing off the spring pre load (the 2 big castellated nuts on top of shock spring) and turn clickers back to softest bound and rebound allows enogh sag in the rear so I can reach the ground. allthogh I do have to stand on the l/h peg to start it works ok for me and no modification just adjustment

can also slide forks up in triple tree a bit (but will effect geometry a bit)  good luck with it you have a very lucky friend!

hope it helps  steve

Firestone some one beet me to it  kick stand was alredy broken wen I got the bike  and the reason behind my suggestion is it can be reversed easily with out parts change quick and cheep. Unless your racing im sure it will work fine. dose for me

theres no harm in lurning to ride what you have  with out spending a fortune on mods. remember U.S prices are a lot less than other places here in AUS the price is almost dubble at least from what iv seen.

sorry for the spelling

Another option is to shave down the seat, I took 50mm off my daughters KDX200 as she is vertically challenged, (5ft 2") worked a treat and you don't stuff up the steering geometry. I also had to add lowering links & slide the forks through the triple clamps but the shave down the seat option worked really well. 

• Like 1

The seat foam cut down is the next thing im looking at    trying to find a good upholstery place to get it cut   iv tried cutting them with zero luck  and want the xr done properly

one day????

Just now, Firestone said:

I found an electric fillet knife works well for cutting down seat foam.

So is that knife for fishing or the kitchen??? never herd of one??

any electric knife works great,I bought one at a yard sale for a couple bucks,great tool for shaping,cutting foam for seat.12.39 at walmart new

884a7b98-aac9-4ff2-9306-0b9073555d4c_1.1eb7059801b8f8c578238aa670ff889d.jpeg

I bought a second hand seat & a new seat cover on eBay, drew the new shape I wanted on the sides of the seat foam and carved away with a bread knife, and then shaped it with the sander, and recovered it, came out mint.

Aha an electric meat carver that's what I thought  just wanted to make sure.  coatsy1 was that a belt sander or an orbital?

I have looked up seat foams and 2nd hand seats on ebay  bit pricey  but may have to be the go  thanx for the feed back :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I have a random orbital sander I use for everything, I think I used 180 grit ?, good for shaping once you have the basic shape as the bread knife only roughed it out, I got a rough seat for not too much, reshaped it and stapled a new seat cover on it, bit of a learning curve but once you have done one it's a piece of cake, wear a mask when sanding, that stuff is toxic as. I had never done one before and know I am on my third,

Don't be afraid to have a go, what's the worst that can happen ?

Cheers for the info  I don't have an orbital but will get one when I can afford it (I will also take pics of before durin and after to post) wen I get to it  thanks again champ!

• Like 1