06 yzf to 07 wr frame conversion finished

I'm not sure if many people, or any at all even look down this road. My reason for doing it was to obtain an NJ street title for my 06 yz450f, and for me the easiest route was a PA titled WR frame i found on eBay. I tried to find some info on how similar the frames really are since to average Joe they appear identical but I came up empty. Truth is they are pretty much the same except 2 minor issues. The first is the cdi mount on the head tube, you'll just need to drill and tap 2 holes and bolt it up. The other is the lower sub frame mount on the left side, it is way off. I would imagine it's because the wr uses a different air box with a quick change panel. That problem was easily remedied with a piece of 1/2" aluminum and a tig machine. 51936043982__B9224DDD-E9B0-40F5-93AB-449F72A57F9C.thumb.JPG.c848f3c2a95741f76a9036c2ef1df7f5.JPGIMG_0511.thumb.JPG.facd53da73a38d0a80fc926a8aa733c4.JPG

Overall the bike came out better than i expected. Over the winter I will tear into the motor. The plan is to get the crank freshened up, bump up compression, and swap to a WR 4th and 5th gear. This is what I started with, not running 1500 dollar bike. IMG_0099.thumb.JPG.2d151d91ad0f177d51cf2b22f87d291e.JPG

Cleaned the carb and correctly set cam timing and the bike ran fine. Upgrade to the R&D float bowl, replaced slide seal, and bumped the pilot up a size and holy shit what a difference. Starts first kick hot or cold, never need the hot start. No bog and smooth linear power delivery. Along with a slew of other upgrades like wheels, tires, exhaust, controls, chain and sprockets (one tooth up to 50 in the rear), protune suspension, WR fuel tank and some cosmetics I now have a bike that will do everything from single track to moto to dual sport surprisingly well. Very very pleased with the bike considering it's 10 years old. IMG_0531.thumb.JPG.797111f6cffaf25ff25376d828f053ba.JPGIMG_0533.thumb.JPG.adeb1291ad705ee40fc5dec2f7bbe51f.JPGIMG_0536.thumb.JPG.436e8c7bbd0476df73cf15f3f7636c2f.JPG

• Like 7

The bike looks great! I have been following your build progress as I picked up the exact same bike in January. What graphics kit is that? I love the factory look and the black wheels really made an impact. Now that you have a street titled frame are you planning to add lights and get it plated? 

The bike looks great! I have been following your build progress as I picked up the exact same bike in January. What graphics kit is that? I love the factory look and the black wheels really made an impact. Now that you have a street titled frame are you planning to add lights and get it plated? 

Thanks I really appreciate that. I believe the shrouds are stock 07 wr450 graphics, the rest is a factory effects kit. As for lights, no plans on lighting. I do have to mount the plate though. I only wanted the plate to minimize the harassment while in the state forest and raise the resale value of the bike for the future. Street title motocross bikes carry a premium in NJ