80xl500s new member looking for help

hello all new member here looking for some help with my 1980 xl500s can anyone suggest or tell me what my best carb option is im looking at a 36 or 38 round or flat slide mikuni carb also need to know about jetting and such will be doing a mild port and polish with cam,valve job,big bore kit and it already has the supertrap muffler but will also be upsizing my header it will be used for both on and off road plz let me know if im headed in the right direction any help will be great ty in advance 

p.s.i have already started to upgrade suspension also and any help or ideas on that would be helpfull im looking for a twin shock alloy swingarm to replace mine and if i cant find one im goin to go with the mono shock set up but would preffer to stick with the twin shock ty...and sry having a heck of a time navigating the site so hope this is posted properly

PE swingarms are not too difficult to fit into the XL/XR frame, but probably getting a bit hard to find now.

An XR500 carb of same vintage gives a marked improvement and fits straight in,

Or if you are handy, you can easily machine your XL carb throat to XR size (2mm bigger does not sound much, but big difference).

Dont go too mad with the motor as the gearbox wont take too much extra hp for long......