Sign in to follow this  

Coolant dumping out of the overflow?

I have a 2013 kx250f. I was at hatfield and mccoys riding when I noticed my bike was running warm. I checked the coolant, and it was considerably low. I topped it off, and continued riding. At the first stop I was loosing most of it back out of the overflow. Now I'm back home and trying to investigate further. So I just started the bike, and almost instantly started loosing coolant. It's not even warmed up. Is this a radiator cap problem? I had planned to take the water pump out for inspection, but now I'm not sure if I should? Anyone else run into this?

If its the tube coming out the filler neck then either the caps bad and rises at a lower temp, or your temps are way too high for some reason. 

Pressure raises the base of the cap the expose the drain hole so itll drain instead of blow something else. A higher pressure cap deals with more pressure to not drip out as much, which buys you time to get home or back to camp or off the track. But it doesn't make you cooler. So if you drip right away. Either your caps done being able to withstand up to that pressure which is a normal pressure. Or youre hot and are reaching that pressure sooner than you should be.

• Like 1

It's happening almost immediately after starting it up. The cap that's on there is a 1.1. Would you go to a 1.6? The bike definitely isn't getting hot that fast.

No I would deal with your heat issue first

You could get a 10.10 cap and youd still be hot. Why are you at that high of pressure to begin with just after starting? Ive never once seen a 1.1cap stop working. Get a 1.6 all youre doing is delaying what you see now. And if pressures high enough to leak out the 1.1 shortly after just starting, than 1.6 isnt even a lap away.

You got a friend with a 250f? Try their cap. Ive been around some thrashed neglected bikes Ive never seen one of those tough springs go soft.

Hows under the cap look? Rubber still there? Thatd go before the spring.

Edited by notoriousE-R-I-C