Is my air filter dirty? Replace?

Hi everyone! Today I just decided to check up on my air filter. I replaced it a little over a year ago and have not had it cleaned since replaced. On some forums, I read that you're supposed to change your air filter as often as you change your oil. On others, it says that I just need to clean it every so often. I can't tell if mine needs to be replaced or cleaned. What do you guys think? IMG_0623.JPG

• Like 1

They probably meant clean every oil change. Normally you can clean them as needed. Air filters are washable so you don't need to replace them much. That one looks spotless. Make sure it's oiled properly and put it back in.

You may want to replace it for a TwinAir or Uni filter, the K&N aren't that great for the DRZ.

Edited by HansLanda
  • Like 5

They probably meant clean every oil change. Normally you can clean them as needed. Air filters are washable so you don't need to replace them much. That one looks spotless. Make sure it's oiled properly and put it back in.
You may want to replace it for a TwinAir or Uni filter, the K&N aren't that great for the DRZ.

Thank you for your response! How do I oil it?
  • Like 1

Lol, yeah, there's a great meme floating around of a garbage can labeled "k&n cleaning kit".

They are ok for the street but not ok for dirt use. A dual element foam filter like a Uni handles dirt waaay better than a single layer gauze filter.

Looking at the op's filter after a year of use, I'd guess the k&n is performing pretty good for the riding conditions.