1st upgrades on new 390RS?

I've got a few dollars squirrelled away for some initial upgrades to the new '17 390.  

I already have a new rear knob that will be going on with an UHD tube.  The front tire I can live with for now as it seems decent.  

I'm torn on whether to put in the correct springs now, or start with a few guards.  The big one for me is the pipe guard.  Not really having much experience on thumpers, I am concerned about denting the pipe.  Is this a concern?  

The stock skidplate seems legit and my brother is still running his on his '15 250RR with zero issues after 2000 miles.  

Anything I'm missing?  I'm not a fan of rad guards, especially on thumper as they can tend to restrict air flow and some of the super tight technical stuff causes heating even with the 2 strokes.  

I like the stock pegs and seat and already have my Flexx bars on.  

Maybe the springs is the best place to start.

Any suggestions?  

I put rad braces on mine and they are already tweaked. Granted the bike has cart-wheeled down a few hills.

After guards, springs for sure. Springs will make the biggest difference in terms of ride/handling. Change the fork fluid while you're in there.

• Like 1

I have my handguards already on, that was first and foremost.

I may do rad braces rather than guards and pipe guard next.  Important to protect the spendy stuff that can be damaged. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mike O said:

Aluminum skid plate is a must if riding off road

Got a variety of good skid plates ..I put a ricochet on my 350 but I like how Ptech look for 4 stroke and 2 stroke. I had already bought the ricochet .

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

My vote goes to the Rekluse... ouch, I know.  But wow.  Unstoppable.  After that (and I agree, hand guards and rad braces) G2 throttle tamer.  My 430 was a little abrupt in rough single track.  Smoothed it right out!

• Like 1

Radiator Guards/Braces, Pipe Guard, Springs for your weight and ride it. 

Edited by SSE_
text
  • Like 1

I put disc guards on my Betas too...but that's not a big thing unless you ride in rocks.. for that you can go to a variety of places too .. lots of choices.. Topar and Ptech arent bad too for that too.. even for radiator guards to.. lots of choices for guards.. one could be for the countershaft sprocket too ...there too has options also enduro engineering.. Force.. stroll through some threads and check out mods..

here's some Topar.. and of course see what's on betausa site..

Great stuff on Topar.. The only thing I wouldn't recommend if you ride in mud is the countershaft guard.. the topar version binds in mud and grass.. other than that it's quality and well made..and good price.

http://shoptoparracing.com/brands/BETA.html

Agreed, seat modifications are worthy to consider. I went with a low seat concepts due to being 5'6".

P-Tech skid plate was my choice as well, just installed yesterday. 

i-X2dm7qD-X3.jpg

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, SSE_ said:

Agreed, seat modifications are worthy to consider. I went with a low seat concepts due to being 5'6".

P-Tech skid plate was my choice as well, just installed yesterday. 

i-X2dm7qD-X3.jpg

I like the look of that skidplate.  I've had good success with Enduro engineering over the years as well.

What brand is your pipe guard?  I was hoping Flatland racing made them for Beta, but I don't see one listed.  Might call them tomorrow just to check.

Think I'm going to do pipe guard and skidplate for sure.  

Looking for rad braces that will work with stock fan?  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, firffighter said:

What brand is your pipe guard?  I was hoping Flatland racing made them for Beta, but I don't see one listed.  Might call them tomorrow just to check.

Think I'm going to do pipe guard and skidplate for sure.  

Looking for rad braces that will work with stock fan?  

Pipe Guard is: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/905/28616/Ricochet-Universal-4-Stroke-Stainless-Steel-Pipe-Guard-

Beta radiator braces are supposed to work with the stock fan: http://shop.americanbeta.com/p/radiator-guards-2013-rr/enduro_rr-rs-rr-s_2016-rr-4-stroke_chassis_body-protection?pp=48&sort_selection=recommended

Bullet Proof radiator guards do as well: http://shop.americanbeta.com/p/bullet-proof-radiator-guards/enduro_rr-rs-rr-s_2016-rr-4-stroke_chassis_body-protection?pp=48&sort_selection=recommended

• Like 1

4t Betas do not run hot like KTMs did, so the minimal, plausible airflow restriction of rad guards, will be insignificant. 

MWME Clever lever, then ride it. Ride more. And some more, just keep riding it.

With retrospect I would have gone TuBliss from the get go.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SSE_ said:

Beta radiator guards made by EE are noting more then bling. These guards have no real support (stop twisting) for the radiators. Go with the Bulletproof or the others that are solid one piece design! Any guard you screw together will twist on impact.

Radiator guards are first, then bar busters then springs. Other items to consider are revalve, thermostat housing delete, billet rear brake pedal, solid rear rotor, skid plate, Evans coolant. Any of these items before a header guard.

Edited by weantright
  • Like 2

You may also want to look into an IMS 3 gallon tank if you plan on dual sporting.  From there a rear disc guard (front if you have the extra funds), and corrected weighted fork and shock springs with potential re-revalve.  Other than that just ride it as you already know, no amount of aftermarket parts will improve your skills better than simply putting in more seat time!  

Ben

Edited by VTMTcowboy

1. rad guards (they do nothing to create more heat at least most of the them) and can save your weekend, and 95% of them will not interfere with a oversized fuel tank

2. springs, without being properly sprung a proper evaluation is pretty much useless IMHO

3. skid plate

4. gearing, silly street gearing has no place off-road, period

Then of course there are many things that run a close 5-place :jawdrop:

I'll chime in and say yes, Beta rad braces fit with the factory fan and with an IMS 3gal tank.  My current setup.  

A new seat for sure.  Guts medium foam.  The 17' stocker is rock fricking hard.