Xplor midvalve oil flow?

This is really an exercise in curiosity, but can someone explain the oil flow through an Xplor midvalve (compression side, the wierd one)?

It appears to have a spring loaded cone pressed against a seat, but it looks like oil pressure would be working against the spring side of the cone during compression.  If you look at a cone valve fork midvalve, the cone is tapered the other way, which has me confused!

A diagram would be best....none of the pictures I can find have any interior detail of the 'cup' so I can't figure it out! 

I very much understand how Cone Valves work, I am simply confused by the apparent backward direction of the cone in the Xplor midvalve.  Unless there is something in the 'cup' part that directs oil flow from the bottom of the cartridge, up past the cone, then back down and out the top of the cartridge, then I don't understand how the midvalve works!

The xplor mid valve is simply an adjustable oriface ..

the "cone" is used to be the seating surface on the varying volume adjustable valve.

70's technology!!

Is it not just acting like a check plate in a normal fork, like in the base valve