I have the opportunity to get a 2006 ktm 300 xcw. Im trading 2 1986 250rs one with a lot of work done to the motor but the case blew out. The other one is just a parts bike. Im just wondering if the ktm is a good bike? I know its a good woods bike but how is it on the dunes or hill climbing? I dont ride track but i do like to jump occasionally. Is it worth it? 

Stock for stock the 300 XC-W is probably the best hill climbing bike there is in my opinion.  That's especially true if it's a technical hill climb with rocks, roots, switchbacks, etc that prevent you from just pinning it and using momentum.  The 300 lugs and chugs down super low and combined with the low first gear on the W model you can tractor up some tough stuff.  In fact many claim it's the lazy man's bike because it makes that stuff so easy.

The W model has open cartridge forks and the PDS rear suspension without a linkage.   The suspension is pretty cushy.  It's awesome for eating up the trail trash like roots and rocks without deflecting.  Maintenance on that PDS Shock is cake compared to a linkage bike.  The down side is that it's not ideal for huge jumps, fast whoops, etc.. If you are going to be doing a significant amount of time on MX tracks, the W model probably isn't the best choice.  Don't get me wrong, it'll jump, but hitting double, triples and 4th gear whoops on the MX track is not its primary design criteria.

In fact the suspension actually seems to go out of it's way to keep you planted on the ground which is great for fast woods riding.  I'm amazed the stuff I can hit and the bike never leaves the ground.  But that's the same quality that lets you come out of a tight turn and get surprised by a cantaloupe sized rock and have the bike track straight over it and you hardly feel it.

I haven't ridden a 2006 300 XC-W, but I have a 350 XCF-W which has a similar suspension setup.  If the '06 suspension performs the same as my 350's I can't imagine a better setup for woods riding.  I remember trail riding on an MX bike when I was younger, going down a steep Rocky downhill holding on for dear life as the bike I pinballed from one side of the trail to the other deflecting 3 feet everytime I hit a softball sized rock or undercut root.  The XCF-W just goes straight down with no drama.

Doc

Edited by Doc_d
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, OLHILLBILLY said:

A blown up antique and an antique parts bike for a running 300 XC-W. Why can't I find deals like that?.. :facepalm:

You saying its not a good deal for me? 

20170628_135340_HDR.jpg

30 minutes ago, OLHILLBILLY said:

Lol, no. Saying it's a great deal. Why can't I find deals like this?

Here in utah the old 250rs are a desired toy for the dunes. I would keep it if i road only dunes. 

14 minutes ago, Austinc said:

Here in utah the old 250rs are a desired toy for the dunes. I would keep it if i road only dunes. 

They're practically useless here in the wet, tight, woods of the Ozarks. We have the Little Sahara State Park out in Oklahoma, but it's all of 300 miles away, so a 300 XC-W is a prize item.. :thumbsup: