Purchase a 2018

So who is upgrading to a 2018 ? Think I'll get another 350 or maybe a 390 need to ride the 390 first. 

MM 

• Like 1

I'm really thinking about a 18 300 rr.  I'm wanting to know how it will compare to the 17-18 ktm 300s. 

• Like 3

Thinking about down sizing from my 15' 500RS to a 350 or 390 as well.  May have to wait to the '19 comes out just based on current finances.  The 500 is great for the streets and flowing trails, but may be too much for me for majority of the dirt riding I do.  Kind of lame I know.  

• Like 1

I have a 17 500 RR-S and would have LOVED to have a 2018 with all the upgrades to it.  

Despite all the changes for the better, I'm thrilled with my 2017.  

Edited by Ben500RR-S
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, VTMTcowboy said:

Thinking about down sizing from my 15' 500RS to a 350 or 390 as well.  May have to wait to the '19 comes out just based on current finances.  The 500 is great for the streets and flowing trails, but may be too much for me for majority of the dirt riding I do.  Kind of lame I know.  

Not lame. Sorry off topic, but there are plenty of ways to tame down your '15-500 gearing/twistgrip/jetting, just sayin...... 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Mark-us-B said:

Not lame. Sorry off topic, but there are plenty of ways to tame down your '15-500 gearing/twistgrip/jetting, just sayin...... 

I agree, not lame at all.  

I was almost set on a 2017 CRF 250L as I had a XL250 years ago and thought I'd be perfectly happy with a 250cc 4-stroke dual sport.  Then I thought about a WR250 dual sport, a little more power and a lot better, adjustable suspension but then thought, 'For a little bit more money, I might as well go whole-hog and get a 500cc Dual Sport and here I am.  

I know I could go everywhere I would need to on a 250cc 4 stroke but everything is just a lot more fun for me on the 477.5cc motor.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ben500RR-S said:

I agree, not lame at all.  

I was almost set on a 2017 CRF 250L as I had a XL250 years ago and thought I'd be perfectly happy with a 250cc 4-stroke dual sport.  Then I thought about a WR250 dual sport, a little more power and a lot better, adjustable suspension but then thought, 'For a little bit more money, I might as well go whole-hog and get a 500cc Dual Sport and here I am.  

I know I could go everywhere I would need to on a 250cc 4 stroke but everything is just a lot more fun for me on the 477.5cc motor.  

Fun for most of us should be the deciding factor. For many years I rode the open class 2strokes and there is nothing more pure fun on the trails than having way too much power to play with. Many times we get overly concerned with "racing" and go to the smaller, more controllable engines and somehow start losing all the fun we were seeking in the first place. Your gut will tell you what you really want, that is the one to buy.

• Like 2

I'm trying to decide between a 2017/18 KTM 250 XC or a 2018 beta 250 rr. Kinda on the fence on which way to go.. any input?

29 minutes ago, YHGEORGE said:

Fun for most of us should be the deciding factor. For many years I rode the open class 2strokes and there is nothing more pure fun on the trails than having way too much power to play with. Many times we get overly concerned with "racing" and go to the smaller, more controllable engines and somehow start losing all the fun we were seeking in the first place. Your gut will tell you what you really want, that is the one to buy.

Funny I go the other way. Have way more fun on a small bike, but then get concerned with racing and go to a bigger bike. Have the most fun on 200cc or less, but go the fastest on 250-450cc. 

32 minutes ago, YHGEORGE said:

Right on.  It is all about fun for me as I sure as heck don't race save for my buddy who likes to think that his 380 EXC can take the 500 RR-S but it cannot no matter what gear or speed he wants to roll-race in.   He enjoys coming up next to me, then goosing me into the race down long straightaways and even though I always give him the drop, my motor just up and goes and I blow him into the weeds all while I can hear his 2 stroke 364cc motor screaming all it can to try and keep up.  It is awesome as he likes to think his bike is faster.  He is a faster rider but the Beta is the faster bike.  

I agree, for as long as I have the strength, having all the extra power is a blast.  

Here we are, on a thread about possibly buying a brand new 2018 Beta, so lucky that we even have any disposable income to ride around in circles on dirt, and our concern is which engine will be best.  I love it!  

6 minutes ago, ccullins said:

Funny I go the other way. Have way more fun on a small bike, but then get concerned with racing and go to a bigger bike. Have the most fun on 200cc or less, but go the fastest on 250-450cc. 

It is how it goes for everyone and why at least Beta and KTM have so many displacements going into the same chassis'.  

I know I'd have way less fun as it is the outright power that allows me to go on many of the atrocious sections of trail and get up or through whatever needs to be overcome.   Any less power and I'd have to turn around and double back on the trail(s).  

7 hours ago, VTMTcowboy said:

Might be able to help with that...lol (shameless advert plug)

52 minutes ago, Blackhalo said:

I'm trying to decide between a 2017/18 KTM 250 XC or a 2018 beta 250 rr. Kinda on the fence on which way to go.. any input?

thats what im trying to decide also. im wanting to see some reviews on the new betas. what sucks for beta is there late release i heard the 18 ktms are already at some dealers. but price wise the betas are a lot better in my area i was quoted $9,685 plus tax for a new 18 ktm 300. and 8,250 plus tax for a new beta 300 with no dealer fees.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, J D R said:

thats what im trying to decide also. im wanting to see some reviews on the new betas. what sucks for beta is there late release i heard the 18 ktms are already at some dealers. but price wise the betas are a lot better in my area i was quoted $9,685 plus tax for a new 18 ktm 300. and 8,250 plus tax for a new beta 300 with no dealer fees.

Are you looking into a W with the FI? That's seems pretty high.  Where at in Idaho? I'm having a hard time finding a 250 xc. See plenty of W's. Even that Beta price is pretty much just msrp.

yeah xcw carb . north id no dealer in my area will go below retail and every ktm dealer in my area charges between $350-500 in dealer fees

I got a deal on a '17 250, if details had come out on the 2018 I would have waited and bought that. The 17 250 feels the same as my 14 300 just softer off the bottom,maybes that's why I'm not raving about it,it's the same.i wonder how different the new one will real world feel?

• Like 2

I'm not upgrading. I have too many motorcycles as it is.. if I would get another Beta what would I get???? I don't know I'm kind of covered with all the bases.. but for some reason the 125 rr looks fun.. but so do all of them.. but how much better than what I have?? I don't think it's a big jump in difference and I think the 3 Betas I have are great.. but maybe I'll change my mind once the new bikes come out and I ride one.