2008' vs 2016'

So stoked i just picked up a 2008 yz 250 for a song.  Was thinking of using it as a backup bike.  I have some un professional, curious thoughts here...

After going through the bike for the past few weeks I was able to finally ride it today.   I am perplexed after riding this thing.  I don't wanna bum anyone out but I try to speak the truth as it comes whether good or bad.    In my opinion, comparing the handling / chassis department, and size dept,  the 16' 250x bikes are more refined than I thought.    The 16 feels much lighter, isn't so tall and turns better for some reason.  I am flat footed on the 16' bike, however I am just touching my tiptoes on the 08'.    5'10  33" inseam.  

I did not measure but the fork length on the 08' must be longer or have a different offset clamps perhaps(probly not)?   I don't know why but it felt like the front end was tucking under which is never a Yamaha problem in my experience.    Same sag numbers for both bikes.  same fork length above triples on both bikes as well(6mm).   only difference is the suspension valving by FC on both bikes is slightly different.  springs are probly heavier on the new (08') ride as well

static sag on 2008 was 44/46mm        110 rider sitting  106 standing

static sag on 2016  is 36/38mm          110 rider sitting  106 standing                Should I set the sag sitting and forget the standing number? 

Are these thoughts inline with what any of you guys know to be true?  Just trying to check my ride impressions.

I think I really prefer the latest x and recommend peeps buy the new rather than trying to duplicate the current with an older bike trying to save $$$.    Its not the same ride, Anyway that's what it looks like from this lens.

roost suit on... 

They aren't setup the same... I wouldn't expect them to handle the same.

They really are not that different.

• Like 2

According to the SAG numbers the 08 has a much stiffer rear spring. That would make it feel much different among other things I'm sure. I ride 09 and 15 YZs and 16 X back to back to back a lot and other than some slight set up differences they all feel similar. The X feels the most different but that's because of suspension settings and even then it isn't really that much different. if you switched shock and forks you might say the same thing in the other direction. Like you said other things have been changed such as triples and maybe linkage, bars, pegs etc.

• Like 1

Swap the seats to see if you can rule that out.

My 2000 is lower than my 16 even with the same seat foam.

I'd bet the 2008's suspension is likely past due to a refurb (more than 25 MX hours since last done?)

-fork seals, bushings, oil, cartridges properly bled etc.

-shock oil, nitrogen charge 

-linkage bearings clean & lube etc.

When all is confirmed 100% functional on the '08 perhaps you can better compare the two bikes.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 2

If you do wind up measuring the fork length, and verify that the triples are the same offset, measure axle to axle, and front axle to swingarm pivot.  Wondering if the frame of the 08 has stretched/choppered a bit over the years, depending on what type+speed of riding it was subjected to.

According to the SAG numbers the 08 has a much stiffer rear spring. That would make it feel much different among other things I'm sure. I ride 09 and 15 YZs and 16 X back to back to back a lot and other than some slight set up differences they all feel similar. The X feels the most different but that's because of suspension settings and even then it isn't really that much different. if you switched shock and forks you might say the same thing in the other direction. Like you said other things have been changed such as triples and maybe linkage, bars, pegs etc.

I think you are on the ball. I've found the Aluminium framed yz's seem very sensitive to spring rate and sag settings.

Get it right and they will track real well. A little off either way and they will push through corners or want to turn in too tight.

O.P. not sure if they will cross over? but swap the shocks over and see how they feel. Or switch the springs across. If things improve just replicate the settings from 16 to the 08.
  • Like 1

Another detail,

I believe the 2008 came stock with a Titanium shock spring, by 2016 steel springs were back as OEM.

• Like 1

Another detail,
I believe the 2008 came stock with a Titanium shock spring, by 2016 steel springs were back as OEM.

Yes another good point. The ti ones are super light but the spring rate is all over the place as they are compressed. Swapped mine out for steel at the stock rate as the ti one was way off on the spring tester.

Ok there other variables involved as I slightly re-valved the shock but over 

winter I swapped out the 4.9kg Titanium spring (rate tested accurate)

for a 4.8kg Race Tech steel spring on my YZ125 and even with my limited skills can notice how 'less busy' the rear feels.

Less pogoing off jumps, better traction off corners etc.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1