Car Oil In Honda CRF250

So im planning to buy a Suzuki or honda, but i thinking for the honda because the trans and motor oil apart. since we almost never change the trans oil i have to use less oil for the engine. But anyone used car oil for the eninge? i thought it is better because of the anti friction additives. but my dad says a good oil like motul 5100 also does the job and make sure that u change it before 10 hours. Besides the price if it also good for less wear. now im not asking here for what oil is the best , im asking car or engine oil? with experiences please, dont say no because you think its for a car etc.

Car oil will work fine in a separate case motor like on a Honda. The only reason you're not supposed to use car oil in a motorcycle is the wet clutch thing. Take the clutch out of the picture and it's just a 4 stroke motor. Motul 5100 is a great syn blend oil, I've used Motul (7100 or 300V) in my street bikes for years. But, without the wet clutch, there's no reason to pay $10-$12 per liter for syn blend motorcycle oil when you can get syn blend car oil off the Walmart shelf for $5 per quart. You can change it every 4-5 hours for roughly the same cost as changing the Motul every 10 hours.

Edited by OLHILLBILLY
  • Like 1

Car oil will work fine in a separate case motor like on a Honda. The only reason you're not supposed to use car oil in a motorcycle is the wet clutch thing. Take the clutch out of the picture and it's just a 4 stroke motor. Motul 5100 is a great syn blend oil, I've used Motul (7100 or 300V) in my street bikes for years. But, without the wet clutch, there's no reason to pay $10-$12 per liter for syn blend motorcycle oil when you can get syn blend car oil off the Walmart shelf for $5 per quart. You can change it every 4-5 hours for roughly the same cost as changing the Motul every 10 hours.

Thats what i also was thinking, but idk if the additives make a big difference for wear.

2 minutes ago, semkaldijk said:

Thats what i also was thinking, but idk if the additives make a big difference for wear.

The additives alone may not make a big difference, but the financially possible shortened change intervals will. Motors don't care about the price or brand of oil, but they do like clean oil. I'm not one of the "change the oil after every ride" people, but a 5 hour change interval will make the motor wear longer than a 10 hour change interval will. The "bang for the buck" thing. Buy an $18 gallon of your preferred brand car oil, change it every 4-5 hours, and your motor will likely last longer than buying a $40 per gallon motorcycle oil and changing it at 10 hours. 

And for the gear case side.. Don't buy $12 per quart Bel Ray Gearsaver either. Your common Walmart house brand ATF will work fine there. I've used it in my 2 stroke transmissions for several years, never an issue. The stuff lasts 100k miles in an automotive transmission that is a bunch of clutch packs (exactly like motorcycle clutches) and planetary gears, subjected to heat that a motorcycle transmission will never see (think a transmission behind a Cummins diesel in a 3500HD pulling a loaded 32 foot cattle trailer on a 90 degree day).

In a Yamaha/Kawi/Suzuki where you need a wet clutch compatible oil, Rotella T6 is a full syn alternative at $21 per gallon that is JASO certified, and cheap enough to change at short hour intervals.

As a long time XR owner I appreciate the separate engine/tranny oils like my CRF250X, the shared functions like the XRs always made it more difficult to find a good combo oil.

I run synthetic ATF in tranny of my X because it is thinner than regular and provides less clutch drag and quicker hookup. 
For the engine side I run full synthetic motor oil in the grade specified in the Owner's Manual, currently Motul 300V because I have it on hand because the high lift cam in my XR requires the extra anti wear additives of the 300v or Redline oils.