beta 300rr cylinder head upgrade q

http://www.2strokeheads.com/KTMPERFORMANCE.htm

http://slavensracing.com/shop/slavens-mule-high-compression-cylinder-head-kit-for-beta-by-s3/

http://shop.americanbeta.com/p/high-compression-cylinder-head

Going to upgrade my cylinder head next for my 17 Beta 300RR, these are the three I could find. The S3 and Beta one is made for pump gas so I am leaning to the two stroke heads as they say they will customize it to your octane (I run 100 octane Sunoco GT-260 since it's at my local gas station and I am at 138' elevation :)

Anyone have any experience with any of these products or recommend any other companies?

went for first ride out in my local woods then hit some fire trails so i could WOT and this head feels amazing, i went in thinking it wouldnt be a significant difference but man was I wrong feels like a 300rr on steroids in low/mid, it really feels good. im going to pull it off and check it see how it looks and see if any rejetting is needed, but super super pleased so far

• Like 3

Considering this for my XT not for more mid or top but for even more off-line torque, would you say the low end torque is better? Does your 300rr stay ridable or is it now very touchy?

low end torque is noticeably better, not that it was bad before, its definitely more touchy but nothing uncontrollable, alot of fun to ride in the low rpm band

• Like 2

Looks like it made a good improvement.

My 16' has such good off idle grunt that I feel doing this to it would make it more of a handful in technical spots. Mine runs so well, and even the jetting is stock. The only thing I've adjusted has been the PV.

• Like 2

Looks like it made a good improvement.
My 16' has such good off idle grunt that I feel doing this to it would make it more of a handful in technical spots. Mine runs so well, and even the jetting is stock. The only thing I've adjusted has been the PV.

totally had the same mindset especially that i looped it the first time i rode the bike i was already intimidated. its a trade off i guess gives me that little extra over a obstacle or up a hill, but have to give more control in slow technical areas.

after a few rides i can feel a little more arm pump in the left arm then usual i think from hanging on from extra ggggg's lol

but like i said its still a blast to ride, stock head is easy enough to put back on if in the long run it gets me in trouble but i doubt it. has that extra little zing sound too at higher rpm

i do think i will put stock head on if i know im going somewhere i would need to fill up at a pump for an extended ride i dunno

• Like 2

On 7/9/2017 at 9:04 AM, monstersumo said:

low end torque is noticeably better, not that it was bad before, its definitely more touchy but nothing uncontrollable, alot of fun to ride in the low rpm band

So for technical you are running in the technical map or the aggressive map.... and have you moved the powervalve to the more mellow settings? just wondering... So more aggressive with the head? not just more low end??

On 7/9/2017 at 5:22 AM, monstersumo said:

went for first ride out in my local woods then hit some fire trails so i could WOT and this head feels amazing, i went in thinking it wouldnt be a significant difference but man was I wrong feels like a 300rr on steroids in low/mid, it really feels good. im going to pull it off and check it see how it looks and see if any rejetting is needed, but super super pleased so far

What did you ask for as far as what you ordered in your head? for more aggressive or for more  smooth linear with more low end etc? pump gas? or idk.. just wondering what you ordered for your head to work better for on your 300 rr.

I just recently bought a 2013 300rr that I bought b/c of all the crap it already had on it and now I'm considering one of these heads but I'm also wondering if I should just ride the bike as is for a couple months then sell it and buy a new KTM 300 tpi bike. So the question is, is the Beta really worth investing more $$$ into, won't really know until I've rode it some more...

My 300 specs;

Flex Bars / Ohlins suspension setup by Stillwell / Fastway linkage guard / Tubliss F&R / Boano Case guard / 2.5 and 3 gal tanks / JD Jetting kit

So far not as thrilled with the Ohlins as I thought I would be, but Kevin is working with me to get it sorted. What I know I want is a little more low and more mid and from what I've read this head will provide, but is that extra $325 really worth it? From what I'm reading the TPI is just amazing and should be even better by this fall. I know JD currently has a 250 tpi bike setup that produces more power and more liner/smoother power than a well setup 2017 carb 300.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2017 at 11:22 AM, monstersumo said:

What did you have to do to order the head? With the YZ they said I had to get the deck height etc etc. I sold it before I got my 2018 BETA 300RR and just want to slap a RK Tek head on it. My main reason isn't necessarily power, but by how much cleaner and crispier the bike will run by tightening up the squish.

Just wondering if I have to get deck height and the rest.

I talked to Kelsey at RK Tech and since the 18' model has changed the piston shape, he does not yet have a head to fit the 18'. Says it will probably be a couple of months before it is ready.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wrfrk said:

I just recently bought a 2013 300rr that I bought b/c of all the crap it already had on it and now I'm considering one of these heads but I'm also wondering if I should just ride the bike as is for a couple months then sell it and buy a new KTM 300 tpi bike. So the question is, is the Beta really worth investing more $$$ into, won't really know until I've rode it some more...

My 300 specs;

Flex Bars / Ohlins suspension setup by Stillwell / Fastway linkage guard / Tubliss F&R / Boano Case guard / 2.5 and 3 gal tanks / JD Jetting kit

So far not as thrilled with the Ohlins as I thought I would be, but Kevin is working with me to get it sorted. What I know I want is a little more low and more mid and from what I've read this head will provide, but is that extra $325 really worth it? From what I'm reading the TPI is just amazing and should be even better by this fall. I know JD currently has a 250 tpi bike setup that produces more power and more liner/smoother power than a well setup 2017 carb 300.

You know how it rolls. Upgrades are pretty much up to you as far as worth. Personal choice is your own roll of the dice. From the reviews Ive read from owners with RK heads in the past the consensus seems all positive. It’s how you look at it. We can all just ride our bikes almost stock and it’s good enough .. great even.  The reality for many is we just keep adding goodies to our bikes the longer we keep em. I plan on getting an RK head bit Im going to talk to my dealer more on this. I also plan on keeping my bike a long time and keep adding mods to improve till the bike is maxxed out with nothing left to do to it. I think Joe Pass put an rk head and likes it. I forget the other guys that have the head now.

It sounds like your bike will be super nice... plus you saved with buying a used bike that already has trick parts. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 2

You know how it rolls. Upgrades are pretty much up to you as far as worth. Personal choice is your own roll of the dice. From the reviews Ive read from owners with RK heads in the past the consensus seems all positive. It’s how you look at it. We can all just ride our bikes almost stock and it’s good enough .. great even.  The reality for many is we just keep adding goodies to our bikes the longer we keep em. I plan on getting an RK head bit Im going to talk to my dealer more on this. I also plan on keeping my bike a long time and keep adding mods to improve till the bike is maxxed out with nothing left to do to it. I think Joe Pass put an rk head and likes it. I forget the other guys that have the head now.
It sounds like your bike will be super nice... plus you saved with buying a used bike that already has trick parts. 

I’ve seen reviews on the RK and the S3 but not directly compared to one another. From what I seen, RK costs more and is better than S3 by a bit. RK is 325.00 ish. And S3 is 220.00 ish. I heard the increase of low end snap with RK is crazy good, like really good! The S3 has moderate reviews, as in definite increase but RK is better. I like the way S3 looks better. I’m gonna make my choice soon as well. A guy I know got the S3 for his Husky 300 and loves it. As you said HDR, stock is pretty good. I’m really looking for the low end wheelie snap cuz in the step up rock formations here in the desert it would come in real handy. For stand up snap wheelies.

Yea there are choices. There is also a vhm head and a slavens specific dome for the S3. There may be more Beta 2t head choices??? Some guys work on the stock head too. That’s the cheapest. Guys post up on it in a bunch of threads.  I like the dome change heads for the larger volume coolant in the head first. It’s so nice to have choices.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Yea there are choices. There is also a vhm head and a slavens specific dome for the S3. There may be more Beta 2t head choices??? Some guys work on the stock head too. That’s the cheapest. Guys post up on it in a bunch of threads.  I like the dome change heads for the larger volume coolant in the head first. It’s so nice to have choices.

Whats the cost of a stock Beta head? My assumption is if i measure the deck height and calculate the squish i could tighten it up a bit. I just want clean burning, I am not really concerned with more power. if I get more than thats a plus. I just want super crisp and clean running 24/7