Theft insurance on small/kids bikes???

So I can get insurance on my 2002 KX250 to cover everything. I want to put insurance on my kids bikes, biggest reason is theft. Home owner/renters won't cover it even sitting in the garage.

Geico doesn't insure small bikes. Their specialty partner has a "Youth" policy, but the kids must be at least 10. 

Do any of you have any kind of insurance on your smaller bikes. 

Do the little bikes have a title? If not, they're seen as something like a lawn mower, and "should" be covered as such under your homeowners policy. If your policy won't cover them in this situation, I'd be looking elsewhere for insurance (different agents dealing the same insurance can be completely different too).

If they have a title like a full size bike, then I'd be shopping elsewhere for insurance too. State Farm has a "total loss" policy for dirt bikes. quads, snowmobiles, etc.., that pays a specified amount in the event of theft, fire, falling out of your truck, and such. If it has a title, but isn't a street legal vehicle, that's what it falls under.

Do some shopping around on your insurance providers. As I said, even different agents with the same company can make a difference.

Legally, a child cannot own a motor vehicle until age 15 AFAIK. You bought it, you are the owner, not the kid. The problem you may run in to is as the owner, you have to tell the insurance company who else will be using the machine. Motor vehicle insurance covers not only theft but liability and medical coverage. They might have a problem covering a eight year old on a dirt bike. I know my own policies specifically exclude 'underage drivers'. As is said above, you might be able to get 'total loss coverage' from a company, should be cheap too unless you live in Balitmore....

I had a hard time getting a non-plated bike covered here in Michigan by State Farm.  They'd cover my plated KTM 350 XCF-W but won't touch my un-plated trials bike.  It's probably for the best because they want to include medical, liability, collision damage, etc where as a I was simply looking to have the bike itself covered in case of theft.  Maybe it's just my agent but non-plated dirt bikes seems like a confusing grey area for them

I have to admit I'd get a kick out of seeing my agent's face watching me ride a trials event just after writing me a policy that covers collision damage.:ride:

Doc

Edited by Doc_d

3 hours ago, Doc_d said:

I had a hard time getting a non-plated bike covered here in Michigan by State Farm.  They'd cover my plated KTM 350 XCF-W but won't touch my un-plated trials bike.  It's probably for the best because they want to include medical, liability, collision damage, etc where as a I was simply looking to have the bike itself covered in case of theft.  Maybe it's just my agent but non-plated dirt bikes seems like a confusing grey area for them

I have to admit I'd get a kick out of seeing my agent's face watching me ride a trials event just after writing me a policy that covers collision damage.:ride:

Doc

Strange.. My State Farm agent had no problem with "total loss" on my KX250F. Cost me $7 per month, there was no collision, liability, or medical involved, just in the event that the bike was write off, they would pay me the $3500 that I had it insured for at the time.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OLHILLBILLY said:

Strange.. My State Farm agent had no problem with "total loss" on my KX250F. Cost me $7 per month, there was no collision, liability, or medical involved, just in the event that the bike was write off, they would pay me the $3500 that I had it insured for at the time.

My agent is pretty successful and has a number of employees that work for him.  When I discussed it I discussed it with one of his helper employees.  Maybe they just didn't know the details.  I might try again and this time insist on talking directly to the main agent about it.  Thanks for the info.

Doc

I have heard State Farm is pretty good at covering things that a lot of other won't. I know I had a problem with a lifted F-350