2006 300 xc w

I have the opportunity to get a 2006 ktm 300 xcw. Im trading 2 1986 250rs one with a lot of work done to the motor but the case blew out. The other one is just a parts bike. Im just wondering if the ktm is a good bike? I know its a good woods bike but how is it on the dunes or hill climbing? I dont ride track but i do like to jump occasionally. Is it worth it? 

I personally would like to give you a completely unbiased opinion.  Unfortunately, I am unable to do so.  I own and RIDE a 2006  KTM 300 XC-W.  So I would just go on an endless rant about how the 2006 KTM 300 XC-W is the best thing since white bread.

Sorry, please accept my apologies.

• Like 3

I had an 06 300xc...great bike, no issues outside of normal maintenance...but I was using it in the woods.

21 minutes ago, GasitandCrash said:

I personally would like to give you a completely unbiased opinion.  Unfortunately, I am unable to do so.  I own and RIDE a 2006  KTM 300 XC-W.  So I would just go on an endless rant about how the 2006 KTM 300 XC-W is the best thing since white bread.

Sorry, please accept my apologies.

Then rant on, im just trying to get some info 

I have the opportunity to get a 2006 ktm 300 xcw. Im trading 2 1986 250rs one with a lot of work done to the motor but the case blew out. The other one is just a parts bike. Im just wondering if the ktm is a good bike? I know its a good woods bike but how is it on the dunes or hill climbing? I dont ride track but i do like to jump occasionally. Is it worth it? 

Like thumb throttle type 250r's?

Yes 

Had an 85 back in the day. Awesome machine.
Fair trade IMHO.
Worth a bunch more if you fix the case though, especially out here in the West.

8 minutes ago, lhc450 said:

Had an 85 back in the day. Awesome machine.
Fair trade IMHO.
Worth a bunch more if you fix the case though, especially out here in the West.

I know all my buddys have bikes. And its really only a dunes machine

20170628_135340_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Austinc said:

Then rant on, im just trying to get some info 

Ok, I have found that here in the Idaho mountains, that my 2006 KTM 300 XC-W works great.  Both the engine and chassis are quite tunable.  You can adjust this bike from Wild to Mild and always have enough power to get you into and out of trouble.  Again I am prejudiced and have not ridden anything newer than 2006, but It's more than enough for me. 

I am opposed to electric starts on principle, though I've heard it's a great deal.  The 2006s don't have it.  But getting electric start would be the only reason I would upgrade anytime soon.  Otherwise, I will just keep maintaining my 2006 and keep riding it.  I would have to have to greatly increase my riding ability to justify any upgrade.   So my recommendation is to get the 300 ride it for a year, and if you don't like it, sell it next year and you probably won't lose much money.

Good Luck

Edited by GasitandCrash
Clairity and grammer.
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, GasitandCrash said:

Ok, I have found that here in the Idaho mountains, that my 2006 KTM 300 XC-W works great.  Both the engine and chassis are quite tunable.  You can adjust this bike from Wild to Mild and always have enough power to get you into and out of trouble.  Again I am prejudiced and have not ridden anything newer than the 2006, but It's more than enough for me. 

I am opposed to electric starts on principle, though I've heard it's a great deal.  The 2006s don't have it.  But getting electric start would be the only reason I would upgrade anytime soon.  Otherwise, I will just keep maintaing my 2006 and keep riding it.  I would have to have to greatly increase my riding ability.   So my recommendation is to get the 300 ride it for a year, and if you don't like it, sell it next year and you probably won't lose much money.

Good Luck

Thanks for info. Have you ever had yours away from the mountains? I live in utah and am going to be doing it all. Single track, desert, and dunes. All my buddy's have cr250s and sx250 and cr500 could i keep up in the dunes? And to be honest i dont want an electric start.

If you're at altitude, get the head shaved.  Put in the red PV spring and set the pre-load up right.

I have a highly modified 06' with over 600 hours on it.  There are plenty of engine mods if you want more power.

Here it is on some dez single track (5,000ft of elevation down near the co/ut boarder).  The speed pickups up about 1/3 of the way into the vid.

I've never ridden dunes, so can't comment there.

Edited by Colorado^

I ride at 4000-8000ft single track so I am curious about that?

If you shave the head, how much material do you take off, or what squish should you have after shaving?  Should the head be reshaped also?

Does Slavens just shave the head or do they also reshape it?

30 minutes ago, GasitandCrash said:

I ride at 4000-8000ft single track so I am curious about that?

If you shave the head, how much material do you take off, or what squish should you have after shaving?  Should the head be reshaped also?

Does Slavens just shave the head or do they also reshape it?

I'm not sure on the specifics, I had Slavens shave the head and deck the cylinder.  No reshaping of the head.

Smart carb is also nice if you're doing a lot of elevation changes, but it doesn't fit very well and is a PITA every time you have to take it off (which isn't very often).

Most of my riding is at 9-13Kft, so I recently went with a 330 big bore and porting when I had my engine rebuilt.  I don't think you'd need to go that far, for 4-8Kft single track though.

Gearing the bike down a little also works wonders.

Edited by Colorado^

To Austinc....   I've been out in the high desert here, but it was when I first got the 300 and didn't have enough time on the bike to retain any data.

To Colorado^  Funny, I've been seriously considering going from a 13 tooth front to a 14 tooth.  I rarely need the torque that is available in first with 13/50 chain ratio.  :0  A higher gear and some abusive clutch slipping seem to serve me well ;)

46 minutes ago, GasitandCrash said:

To Colorado^  Funny, I've been seriously considering going from a 13 tooth front to a 14 tooth.  I rarely need the torque that is available in first with 13/50 chain ratio.  :0  A higher gear and some abusive clutch slipping seem to serve me well ;)

I'm running 13/52 and I find that helps get a bit more torque in 2/3/4/5. 1st doesn't need more, but I'm only in first if I make a mistake on a steep hill.

With all my engine mods, I would go back to stock gearing if I rode a lot at lower elevation, but up here you need every advantage you can get.

I had a 07 300xc and I loved the bike. For single track the bike turned like a dream. The only time I had a problem with it was on square edged rocks. The back of the bike would kick up. I had my local suspension guy do a revalve and the correct spring rate for me. It made a huge improvement. Rear Sag is supper important on theses Pds bikes. The bike didn't feel as stable on the high speed stuff as linkage bike.
So I added a Scotts dampener
And that really helped.
All and all they are great bikes and I will always ride a 300. It's the best motor ever made.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, brennan300 said:

The only time I had a problem with it was on square edged rocks. The back of the bike would kick up. I had my local suspension guy do a revalve and the correct spring rate for me. It made a huge improvement.

Mine did that too, especially on logs.  A re-valve from Kreft fixed that.  Like you say, it was a huge improvement.  Before that the rear suspension was always trying to buck me off.

I had a 07 300xc and I loved the bike. For single track the bike turned like a dream. The only time I had a problem with it was on square edged rocks. The back of the bike would kick up. I had my local suspension guy do a revalve and the correct spring rate for me. It made a huge improvement. Rear Sag is supper important on theses Pds bikes. The bike didn't feel as stable on the high speed stuff as linkage bike.
So I added a Scotts dampener
And that really helped.
All and all they are great bikes and I will always ride a 300. It's the best motor ever made.