2001 CR250R sprocket size

just picked up a gently used cr250r. I will be using this bike primarily for signal track trial riding. now granted I do realize that this bike was really not designed for this type of riding but it is what it is. any suggestion's on front and rear sprocket size? im thinking I may need to tame it down a bit for my style of riding. thanks....

I've had the same bike for 12 years. I run a 13 front 52 rear with FMF gnarly pipe. This set up is awesome for single track tight woods hill climbing and mountain climbs. My friend has a 2000 CR 250 and he runs 13 front 51 rear. His first gear last longer and is sometimes nicer I find

Depends how slow you want to be able to go while practicing and in technical stuff. If you have a 49 rear, you'll be using your clutch more to keep from stalling which there's nothing wrong with, clutch practice is good. On the other hand, if you run a 51 or 52 you'll be able to go slower with less clutch work. My 13/52 setup works awesome for ME, not everyone. I find it chugs(low rpm) very nicely and predictably.

Don't be worried about wearing out your clutch while in slow stuff either, they can take some abuse. Just change the trans oil more often if you're slipping the clutch lots.