Misaligned front in movement / Unstable at high speed

My buddy's DRZ feels a little bit offset while going. The handlebar needs to be turned slightly to the right side to keep the bike going straight.

He has just changed tires (Bridgestone S20 Evo front and rear), and before the swap the front was correctly aligned.

We have checked forks alignment with the "brake and pump" procedure, tightened everything together to torque specs so that the wheel/lower triple/upper triple/handlebar are perfectly aligned between them: with the bike off the stand, front wheel points straight ahead with the handlebar perpendicular to it. But then, in movement, it tends to be slighty off.

We don't know if it could be the rear wheel, but it has been aligned with the help of a straight bar on the rear sproket, or even a bent frame (but with a bent frame should be off even when its stopped, isn't it?). He also says that at high speeds (120kmh) the front becomes twitchy and unstable, but I didn't test it. Mine, with the same setup and tires doesn't do that.

Could the two problems be related to each other? Any input?

Thank you!

Edited by DrzBob

Maybe his rear rim needs to be trued. My rear rim had a bit of hop in it and it would not steer straight.

Lift the rear off the ground and spin it. 

Edited by HansLanda

mmm sincerly I don't know if tires have been balanced to the rim or not.. I have to ask him :)

Pinch and axle bolts have been torqued in this sequence: tightened axle nut, tightened pinch bolts on axle nut side. Loosened pinch bolts on opposide side (right side), loosened lower triple clamp bolts. Pumped few times the forks while braking. Tightened right side pinch bolts. Pumped again, tightened lower triple clamp pinch bolts.

1 hour ago, DrzBob said:

@HansLanda: you mean the spokes of the rear wheel? We'll check it

Yes, I would spin the rear wheel and see if it is not trued.

1 hour ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Is it a S or SM? 

By the tires he mentioned, it's an SM.

• Like 1

I asked and the tires haven't been balanced after the change. We'll start from that!  :thumbsup: 

Btw, it's a SM model, I didn't mention it. Anyway, just my curiousity: how would tire balance affect misalignment when moving? I mean, from what I know it would add vibration. 

Edit: noob question. The answer is yes, at higher speeds unbalanced tires cause more noticable instability

Edited by DrzBob

The tire balance usually doesn't have anything to do with alignment. My guess is something was put together wrong... but you can always swap front tires with him to see if the issue goes away.

Make sure the tire bead is fully seated around the rim on both sides.  There is a very fine mold line on the side wall that should be even with the outer circumference of the rim.

With everything else reported above are you Sure spacers are correct ?  speedo spacer to be exact .:excuseme:

Edited by xxcody2gunsxx

Today we were able to swap tires each other as @lakeportmike suggested. Tried both bikes and now I can tell for sure there was definitely something off with the rear wheel, because we didn't touch the front of either bikes,  and now riding straight his handlebar is not pointing right anymore. Chain was aligned wrong probably, right chain adjuster now is a little bit moved toward the front compaered to the left one, by the way. One down. 

Regarding the wobble at high speed, I felt it on my bike now, so next step will be balancing the wheels ;) 

Edited by DrzBob
  • Like 1