Kalkaska/ Blue Lake Trails - kid friendly

Ok guys,

Like every year,  we end up renting a cabin in Michigan,  loading it up with a plethora of kids from my various 5 brothers and 1 sister.  Fishing / swimming/ paddling  are always big deals,  but this year,  we have a honda 100 we fixed up to start these kids riding.   They have gotten to the point where they can start, stop,  turn and shift,  so I guess it's time to get em out on some trails. So the Kalkaska ORV trails circle the cabin (on Blue Lake) ,  and a few miles down the road is the Leetsville trails. are those going to be just too sandy for these kids (12 - 14) beginners?   

us bigger kids will be riding the area,  with a bit more capable bikes,  but we do need to take the kids out a bit and let em grow and learn. 

and any sections of trail in that general area hidden gems (for decent riders) ?  we can always go over and ride tomahawk,  but I'm hoping we can stay pretty local and have fun riding for a couple of days.

Kids will need ORV Safety Certificate to ride legally; training course is online through DNR website.

The "spur" trail just east of Blue Lake on the Kalakaska trail usually doesn't have much traffic so is in pretty good shape (varies by weather of course too). The spur starts just south of Old Grade (2 track) and ends up over on Goose Creek. It is a campground access trail. 

Thanks Jeramey,  I appreciate the info.  wasn't aware of the certificate rule.  So just gave em the word -  no certificate -  no ride!  so its up to them.

On 6/29/2017 at 2:05 PM, slowstepper said:

Ok guys,

Like every year,  we end up renting a cabin in Michigan,  loading it up with a plethora of kids from my various 5 brothers and 1 sister.  Fishing / swimming/ paddling  are always big deals,  but this year,  we have a honda 100 we fixed up to start these kids riding.   They have gotten to the point where they can start, stop,  turn and shift,  so I guess it's time to get em out on some trails. So the Kalkaska ORV trails circle the cabin (on Blue Lake) ,  and a few miles down the road is the Leetsville trails. are those going to be just too sandy for these kids (12 - 14) beginners?   

us bigger kids will be riding the area,  with a bit more capable bikes,  but we do need to take the kids out a bit and let em grow and learn. 

and any sections of trail in that general area hidden gems (for decent riders) ?  we can always go over and ride tomahawk,  but I'm hoping we can stay pretty local and have fun riding for a couple of days.

Just an Fyi the north loop of the West Higgins lake trial is not very sandy and was just groomed this spring.  It is not very far from Kalkaska

5 hours ago, dconklin5421 said:

Just an Fyi the north loop of the West Higgins lake trial is not very sandy and was just groomed this spring.  It is not very far from Kalkaska

thanks 5421,  ill download that map, and plan on giving it a go!  I'm assuming you mean the loop that crosses and recrossed SE County Rd SE several times?

Edited by slowstepper

also FYI on the cert.  It was about 4 hrs and they hit you with ~$30 at the end.  no big deal, but 75% is irrelevant for dirt biking.. but kids learn how to winch a jeep out of a mud hole and cross an off camber ditch with an jeep...  we've never been checked, but keep with certificate with my son's gear just in case.