Fox Podium Shock

I just bought a 2012 250xc that had one of these shocks, any of you have experience with this shock? Just curious how it worked for you. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KTMRider4Life said:

I just bought a 2012 250xc that had one of these shocks, any of you have experience with this shock? Just curious how it worked for you. 

Oddly, the guys in the CRF 230 forum seem to have the goods on those.  Different animal, but essentially the same shock. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, poldies4 said:

Oddly, the guys in the CRF 230 forum seem to have the goods on those.  Different animal, but essentially the same shock. 

Hmmm I'm sure it's a big upgrade for them, I'm more curious if it's an improvement over the wp shock. I'm sure it's all in the setup though. Ill see soon enough

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, KTMRider4Life said:

Hmmm I'm sure it's a big upgrade for them, I'm more curious if it's an improvement over the wp shock. I'm sure it's all in the setup though. Ill see soon enough

Ride report asap please!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, poldies4 said:

Ride report asap please!

It will be a while before I get to rider it unfortunately. I've got my whole back yard tore out, building a shed/shop for bikes, all new,patio, just finished the retaining wall.   

• Like 1

While the CRF230 Podium is a good shock (the last available was the Podium RC2 with full Kashima body) the Podium RC3 that is on the KTM is a different unit with some unigue features like  B.O.C. (Bottom Out Control) damping adjustment, F.A.S.T. easy preload adjustment and a DLC coated shaft.

Performance-wise, is really impressive almost eliminating the worldwide known PDS kick, making the rear suspension perform like a good linkage shock.

You can compare it only to WP Traxx but without the extreme maintenance schedule that the later demands.

it is also very reliable and during the last 4 years I work with FOX, I have never experienced any leaking sealhead or other fault (and I had a shock that raced the very hard Slovakian ISDE).

Having said that, I would suggest to service no later than 30 hours if you race or 60 hours if you do more recreational riding.

If you hand it in for service, make sure that your shop will use a SAE 5W shock oil (or FOX R3 oil which is made by Mobil). I have the suspicion that many shops are using one type of shock oil and since WPs (which work with SAE2.5W) are the most common, SAE 5W might not be available.

Also this is one of the most well thought out shocks regarding service. Although I use a vc pump, its perhaps the easiest shock to bleed by hand. However, you will need some FOX special tools, most importantly the one to remove the compression adjuster.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, KTMRider4Life said:

It will be a while before I get to rider it unfortunately. I've got my whole back yard tore out, building a shed/shop for bikes, all new,patio, just finished the retaining wall.   

Finally getting a shop??  That's awesome man!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, poldies4 said:

Finally getting a shop??  That's awesome man!

Yes, it's not going to be very big but it will be better than what I've been doing. Hoping for 200sq feet.  

I've had to do a lot in order to get ready to build it though. Another weekend or two and I should be ready to start pouring a foundation and running electrical. 

20170611_183239.jpg

20170612_144440.jpg

20170611_183256.jpg

20170627_074728.jpg

20170628_194417.jpg

I sure could use a guy with your skills right now

• Like 3

9 hours ago, dirtbird said:

While the CRF230 Podium is a good shock (the last available was the Podium RC2 with full Kashima body) the Podium RC3 that is on the KTM is a different unit with some unigue features like  B.O.C. (Bottom Out Control) damping adjustment, F.A.S.T. easy preload adjustment and a DLC coated shaft.

Performance-wise, is really impressive almost eliminating the worldwide known PDS kick, making the rear suspension perform like a good linkage shock.

You can compare it only to WP Traxx but without the extreme maintenance schedule that the later demands.

it is also very reliable and during the last 4 years I work with FOX, I have never experienced any leaking sealhead or other fault (and I had a shock that raced the very hard Slovakian ISDE).

Having said that, I would suggest to service no later than 30 hours if you race or 60 hours if you do more recreational riding.

If you hand it in for service, make sure that your shop will use a SAE 5W shock oil (or FOX R3 oil which is made by Mobil). I have the suspicion that many shops are using one type of shock oil and since WPs (which work with SAE2.5W) are the most common, SAE 5W might not be available.

Also this is one of the most well thought out shocks regarding service. Although I use a vc pump, its perhaps the easiest shock to bleed by hand. However, you will need some FOX special tools, most importantly the one to remove the compression adjuster.

I live in seaside (Monterey)  So close to their hq, do they service them here?

Great info thank you!  I had ready about the b.o.c. And compression adjuster for the spring. Very cool features. 

1 hour ago, KTMRider4Life said:

Yes, it's not going to be very big but it will be better than what I've been doing. Hoping for 200sq feet.  

I've had to do a lot in order to get ready to build it though. Another weekend or two and I should be ready to start pouring a foundation and running electrical. 

20170611_183239.jpg

20170612_144440.jpg

20170611_183256.jpg

20170627_074728.jpg

20170628_194417.jpg

I sure could use a guy with your skills right now

I was just thinking the same thing, wish I could give you a hand.  Breaking out concrete is honest work, no way to fake your way through it.  Keep sending pics, love seeing the progress. 

1 minute ago, poldies4 said:

I was just thinking the same thing, wish I could give you a hand.  Breaking out concrete is honest work, no way to fake your way through it.  Keep sending pics, love seeing the progress. 

I filled that trailer twice to the top with concrete and once with sand. I did all the work minus laying the stones. 

I can tell you that running a Jack hammer, swinging a sledge, loading trailers etc builds a lot of strength. I just view it all,as a training workout. 

• Like 2

Over the past three years, I converted my normal New England garage into a workshop. It's insulated, heated, air conditioned and has more lights than I ever thought I would need. It's been one of the most rewarding investments I have made, not only in motorcycling but just in life. Having a shop is awesome.  Sometimes you just need to leave the house, but you don't want to go anyplace!  

Simple maintenance chores are just that: simple.  It also gives me the confidence to tackle tougher stuff.  

• Like 2