My 2005 Honda CRF 150 F wont idle when warmed up? -- Need Advice

So I have had my 2005 Honda  CRF 150F for around 4 years. It always gave me a hard time when it came to idling, but now the bike will just stall from idling for 3 min. I have to constantly rev the engine just a bit to keep the bike running. It runs great but when you come to a complete stop and put it in neutral, it dies. I  preform regular maintenance on the bike but have not taken the whole bike apart myself.

I was wondering if it would have something to do with the fuel/air mix screws.... i dont really know which one is which, i might have turned them one way too much (yes im a bit confused).  I have attached a picture and if someone could tell me which one should be adjusted and how many turn out they should be. (i have adjusted the bottom screw - near exhaust pipe and the middle screw..) 

Is there anything I could do to see if it will fix the problem before I would need to take it in to be serviced. 

imageproxy.jpg

Red arrow adjust 2/12 turns out from fully seated

White arrow adjusts your idle - i usually turn that screw in until it just starts to lift the slide (yellow arrow) then adjust idle from there after you start the bike

crf.jpg

• Like 1

Adjusting the idle screw won't help if the fuel screw passage is plugged.  Ethanol in gas causes gas to spoil in as little as thirty days.  It's likely carb needs to be disassembled and passages/jets cleaned.  It's a common and constant battle.  

• Like 2

The fuel screw meters fuel into the venturi during idle.  Try opening the screw counterclockwise a bit to allow more fuel.  If it makes no difference, it needs cleaning.. Also inside of pilot jet gets a varnish buildup until eventually plugged solid.. Clean or replace.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baja Rambler said:

Adjusting the idle screw won't help if the fuel screw passage is plugged.  Ethanol in gas causes gas to spoil in as little as thirty days.  It's likely carb needs to be disassembled and passages/jets cleaned.  It's a common and constant battle.  

who said anything about any passages plugged up ?   :lame:?

24 minutes ago, MattMico said:

wow thanks for the conversation lol 

No worries - sorry about the *&$%* who didnt know what he was talking about - you asked about the fuel screws and which did what - not "why is my carby blocked up"  :moon:

Edited by S.O.A.N.Z

Basics first don't disassemble and replace the most complicated solution. Seems like a lot of people leap to that. Is you air filter clean? New or old fuel? It has always had this symptom but is worse now.

Clean air filter, warm it up, set the air screw  at 2.5-3 turns out from seated in. Adjust idle medium high. If it still idles turn the air screw in slowly towards seated position, should almost die at some point, then turn back out 1/2 turn. Readjust idle to where you want it. 

If it has not sat for a long time that should help or reveal the issue is something else.