450 SXF Top End Hours

Getting ready to saddle a new 450 SXF.  Been a two stroke 250 SX fan for nearly a decade and was fairly regimented in swapping top ends around 30-40 hours depending on how ridden.  What's the general guideline for periodic engine maintenance on the 450 SXF?  I'm a VET racer in his northern forties.

Approaching 70 hours on mine. No plans to touch it, maybe 150 hours.

6 hours ago, tlewis1156 said:

Getting ready to saddle a new 450 SXF.  Been a two stroke 250 SX fan for nearly a decade and was fairly regimented in swapping top ends around 30-40 hours depending on how ridden.  What's the general guideline for periodic engine maintenance on the 450 SXF?  I'm a VET racer in his northern forties.

Had mine checked at 30, and they were outta spec.  You'll know once it gets harder to start, etc.

83 hrs on mine and starts and runs great. Hoping to go at least 120 hrs before considering piston and rings. Have never seen any dust get past the air filter.

38 hours on my 16 450. Runs amazing and has a gun blast worth of power. I'll probably rebuild it at 80 hours during the winter.check valves every 30 hours or so. i have no doubt that it would last into the 100's with regular oil changes but that's just me. 

I used to be a maintenance freak but on my 13 450 sx I have been less of one. I do regular oil changes at 10 hour intervals and air filter when needed. I now have 213 hours on piston and rings. Have not even checked the valves. Heck it still has original spark plug. It has been a very dependable bike.

• Like 4

Only had new KTM last years, never had to change or adjust valves.

2013 SXF 450: 107h before piston change, a bit overtime. 167h before i sold it. Piston 3 was then mounted

2014 SXF 450: 65h

2015 SXF 450: 65h

2016 SXF 450: 70h

2017 SXF 450: 71h now, plan on doing it at 85h

• Like 2