Yamaha shock interchange?

Does anybody know if Yamaha shock are interchangeable between the YZ250 and YZ250f (between the years 06 and 13)?  My guess is that the spring rate may vary, but the basic shock body should fit.  Does anyone know for sure?

A quick look in the KYB parts catalog and there looks specific part numbers for those applications over the years.

From the many parts listed, the '06 to '08 YZ250 shock looks to be slightly different from the '09+

and the body p/n matches only the '09 model year of YZ250F. 

Perhaps a complete assembly interchanges fine from chassis to chassis but it's internal components are different.

Another option is interchanging with a similar model year YZ125.

You can download a .pdf version of the KYB catalog on Techinical Touch USA's website

and compare part numbers versus applications of various model years.

Edited by mlatour

AFAIK the shocks with 46mm bodies interchange from two stroke to four stroke. The newer ones, 2014+ are different and have 50mm shock bodies. I'd be looking for an older four stroke shock not a newer one tho.

I run a 03 wr450f shock on my 06 yz250, its pretty good for enduro type stuff at my weight, the bike had a 02 yz250f shock on it when I bought it, it also was the same length and basicly the same spring rate as stock, the wr shock has a stiffer spring and softer valving, they're all just sprung and valved a little different but work. For some guys its cheaper and easier to pick up a used shock off ebay than rebuild a shock, the guy I bought my yz went that route and I ended up doing it as it was the same price for a complete shock as it was for a stiffer spring for me. When I bought my bike I didn't even know it was a 250f shock on my yz until I took it off, it has 02 250f written on the side you cant see after its installed, I thought it was off an older two stroke due to the smaller reservoir as it worked fine. The bike came with the leaky stock shock so now I have the rebuilt 06 shock at home for a spare if I need it.

I used race tech's site to see what was the same between years before buying the older wr shock for my yz.