Quest for a used 250 2 stroke

Ok guys, I'm looking for a used 250 two stroke, something in the 90s or early 2000's. Budget is kinda low, but I'm saving up so it goes up every month. Right now I'm at $500, hopefully in a few weeks I'll be at $1000. I'm mainly getting a bike that I can take out to trails and tracks to ride, something good and reliable. It'll probably be a YZ,CR,KX,KDX,RM, or maybe even a KTM. I'm open to whatever I can get as long as it's a 250 2 stroke. I thought about a 125, but I don't know if it's enough bike for me, 6'6" 215 lbs.

Around here $1000 will not buy an old 250 2t. Closer to $1500-2000. Good luck with your search.

Keep saving until you get at least 1500 plus. Then be patient and wait for a nice bike at a good deal. Worse thing you can do is jump on the first bike and blow your was and end up with a bike needed a bunch of work.

Yeah there are a lot of $1300 bikes, just gotta save up for them. I just started getting a paycheck from the family farm, so I'm saving money for a bike that isn't older than me lol. There was a kdx200 that was for sale at around $600, just had some fees at the DMV. Literally the day I got my paycheck the bike was sold.

Keep in mind that when you buy them that cheaply, you WILL need more $$$ to fix the issues that they have. If you buy the bike for $1500, you better plan on having at least an extra $500 to put into it right away. I have never bought a bike that cheaply that did not need significant work. I'm not saying those deals cannot be found, just that I have never found one. Could you ask parents, or other family members for $$ for your birthday, or are there things you can do to earn more $$ right now? Explain to your parents that you could buy a worn out unsafe machine for what you have saved, or for just a little more you get a newer, fresher, safer ride.. See if they will pony up a little coin.

I'm partial to Honda so I would recommend a last gen CR250 (2002 & up). There is still lot of support in regards to parts for the older CR's.  This last generation had the best frames of all of the CR's. You will hear both negatives, and positives, about the engine depending on who you talk to. The problem here is that the last gen CR's are still pulling $3K in my area. Yamaha's seem to have a good following as well and seem to sell for less $ than the Hondas.

I agree also that with your weight, and height, you should get a 250 Two-Smoke. Whatever bike you buy, go over it with a fine-tooth comb checking for areas that need maintenance attention. Check the spokes for tightness, check the rims for trueness, check the linkage bearings, check everything very thoroughly as you are bound to find issues on bikes of that age. Trust me, bikes of that age are all but used up by this time and the ones you find that cheaply are cheap for a reason-the owner does not want to put the $$ into it to get it running properly again. Check for stripped bolts/bolt holes. Bikes that age are notorious for having stuff mangled by ham-fisted wanna-be-dirt-bike mechanics. Good luck on your search!

Yeah, I've bought cheap dirtbikes in the past. I bought a '78 yz400 last year for $200, put another $700 in it to get it running good. Right now I'm on a monthly salary, so it's just a matter of saving up. I want to buy something '02 or older because I want a green sticker bike. Red sticker bikes in California are limited to only half a year of use, kinda crappy in my opinion. I like the cr's, but I also like Yamaha. Brands don't really concern me, I just care about how the bike runs/performs.

I'd definitely only be looking at the 2000+ YZ250s.  They are still in production and even though they've changed since then, many parts remain the same.  Do not discount being able to walk into a motorcycle dealer 3 miles from your house and being able to walk out with the parts you need.  Not riding because you can't find parts sucks.  

You'll probably need $2200 to fetch a good one (maybe more in the People's Republik of Kalifornia).  Pay a little more upfront to get a good clean bike.  Buying a bike that needs work will always cost more in the long run.  

Doc

I'd definitely only be looking at the 2000+ YZ250s.  They are still in production and even though they've changed since then, many parts remain the same.  Do not discount being able to walk into a motorcycle dealer 3 miles from your house and being able to walk out with the parts you need.  Not riding because you can't find parts sucks.  
You'll probably need $2200 to fetch a good one (maybe more in the People's Republik of Kalifornia).  Pay a little more upfront to get a good clean bike.  Buying a bike that needs work will always cost more in the long run.  
Doc

Point taken. I've experienced that one too many times with my old 400. I usually end up waiting a week for basic parts like gaskets. My goal is to get a bike that's as close to 2003 as possible. After 2003 they are red sticker bikes here in California, and I don't want to deal with that. Red sticker bikes are only allowed to operate 6 months out of the year here in California. I really don't want to spend $2000 on a bike I can only ride for 6 months out of the year, especially since my local SVRA is only 20 minutes from my house.
  • Like 1