Need help with 2013 EXC 500 fuel injection-Wont Run!!!

Bought a used 2013 EXC 500 recently, had 50 hours on it. After about 5 hours the fuel pump went out, replaced with quantum fuel pumps $70 pump motor and bike ran great for about 7 more hours. Suddenly the bike died on me while i was riding as if it had lost fuel flow. All the filters are good. New inline filter was used inside tank during pump motor swap and there is a fresh inline filter at the quick release. There is fuel flow all the way to the throttle body. Bike turns over strong but theres no gas reaching the engine. Clogged injector or injector isn't opening??? Are these the only two possibilities? 

I have not been able to find any videos or literature showing the removal and overhaul of the throttle body on my particular model. Do any videos exist or any other forums that you guys now of?

Any help is much appreciated!

Edited by apace

Also, bike has new spark plug and is sparking strong. Let me know if Im leaving anything else out.

Check the easy stuff first- like the tank vent cap & line. If no air gets in, no fuel gets out.

If the problem happened suddenly, I think it's unlikely to be a clogged injector.  Open the fuel cap, turn the bike on.  Make sure you hear the pump cycle, and look inside the tank for swirling fuel.  If you see swirling fuel then the filter or pump have split open, which will reduce the fuel pressure enough to cause problems. 

• Like 1

Thank you. Affirmative on air flow and affirmative on pump cycling. Pump assembly appears to be intact and not leaking or swirling. 

Scenario a: key on, pump runs, unhook quick release, depress plunger in quick release, fuel flows from tank steadily.

scenario b: key on, pump runs, quick release attached, detached fuel line from fuel rail, fuel flows from tank steadily.

scenario c: key on, pump runs, everything attached, bike won't start(strong battery, turns over strong.) Detach quick release, no fuel in second half of line(passed the quick release), therefore no fuel entering fuel rail.

Its as if there is a block or pressure build up in the fuel rail or throttle body preventing any fuel from continuing any further. I guess I'm going to pull the throttle body. Any insight on the best method for that? Links or vids? Ive heard of tilting the subframe up.. but i don't know the specifics. Also I read somewhere about a fuel rail upgrade? worth it? might as well do it if I'm pulling the thing apart..

Thanks again!

Edited by apace

On 6/29/2017 at 11:31 PM, Burnrider said:

Check the easy stuff first- like the tank vent cap & line. If no air gets in, no fuel gets out.

On 6/30/2017 at 7:44 AM, apace said:

scenario c: key on, pump runs, everything attached, bike won't start(strong battery, turns over strong.) Detach quick release, no fuel in second half of line(passed the quick release), therefore no fuel entering fuel rail.

Its as if there is a block or pressure build up in the fuel rail or throttle body preventing any fuel from continuing any further. 

As stated above, check the easy stuff first, and it appears that you've done much of that.

One other "easy" thing to verify check is the wires running to the throttle body.  It sounds like to me that the injector is NOT opening at all, like it's not getting any power.  Even if you had a clogged fuel injector, you would have had to have passed something big enough to block of the ENTIRE flow of fuel, and that seems unlikely.  But, if the injector is not opening at all, and allowing fuel into the injector, then there's a good chance that fuel doesn't get to the fuel line past the quick release like you're seeing.

Is it possible that you have a blown fuse somewhere?  You used the term "suddenly" in your first post.  A blown fuse would be suddenly.

For the record, I know about fuel injectors / injection.  Just hypothesizing...

• Like 1

Just looked this up online in your OM.  Have you checked fuse number 1?  It controls your EFI.  If it's blown, you will NOT get fuel past the quick disconnect...

Capture.PNG

• Like 1

- Brand new fuel pump motor, runs strong, but I will consider this going forward..

- Pulled wire to injector and it is definitely receiving power ( #1 fuse is good).

Was indeed a very sudden loss of power as the bike just bogged down from lack of fuel within a few seconds(cruising about 25-30).

Receiving my BDSB fuel rail tomorrow so I'll be pulling the injector and installing all that. Hopefully I find a clog in rail or injector or I'm totally stumped at this point.

Could the injector be shot?? 

I didnt want to mention this, but I hope for you, it IS something simple like an injector, but this sounds an awful lot like what my bike did when it collapsed a ring and scored the cylinder.

Literally running one second and the next not.  Took me a month to figure it out, AFTER changing just about every part in the fuel system.

So, I personally at this point have still never had an injector go bad, so I don't know what happens when they go kaput, but I would think that they would tend lose power slowly, and not just instantly, but I don't know that for sure.

Good luck!, and I hope that you get it figured out soon.  Definitely a bummer...

Check this post out:

Maybe your fuel line is bad, and has totally clogged the injector.  There is also how-to's on the internet about cleaning injectors, and that might be worth trying if the parts you have coming don't work...

• Like 1

Plot twist:

Cleaned the injector(it had some gunk in it).

Fuel is now flowing all the way to the injector, bike still won't start.. 

Hoping its not a collapsed ring as mentioned above but at this point its going to the dealer after the holiday.

Thanks for the tips.

14 minutes ago, apace said:

Plot twist:

Cleaned the injector(it had some gunk in it).

Fuel is now flowing all the way to the injector, bike still won't start.. 

Hoping its not a collapsed ring as mentioned above but at this point its going to the dealer after the holiday.

Thanks for the tips.

Man that blows...

I wonder if something may have happened to your ECU???

Best of luck man...

For a quick test, remove the air filter, hold the throttle wide open, put a quick shot of starting fluid or throttle body cleaner into the intake, close the throttle and hit the start button.  If the bike starts up and runs for a moment then you have a fuel issue.  If it sputters but doesn't start up then it's not likely a fuel issue.  A compression check is quick and easy, a leak down test will give you more info.  Also check the spark, lack of spark or bad spark plug can behave almost identically to no fuel (same problem, nothing is burning).  Good luck, let us know what you find.  

When I collapsed a ring, mine would start, BUT you had to crack open the throttle about half way.  If it does run this way, do not run it a lot, because I'm sure that's how I messed up my cylinder.  I don't think that I ran it a total of 120 seconds after it died.  It doesn't take much to think something up...

This may help to point in the right direction...looking for the answer to the same question as sirthumpalot's approach

To quickly check if you're not getting fuel or not getting spark...make several solid attempts to start it...quickly pull the spark plug....if its wet your getting fuel...but likely no spark...or not a strong enough spark.  If its dry your likely getting a spark but no fuel..eliminate one variable.

Sorry for leading you guys on a wild goose chase. It was just a faulty wire on the fuel pump. The positive wire clamp leading to the pump motor had split so that the rubber housing was basically holding it on. Knew something was up when I was able to slap the tank and suddenly get enough fuel pressure to start the engine.. bike is running good now that it has a new wire, new fuel rail and cleaned injector. Recently replaced the pump motor must have missed it.. oh well. Thanks for all the help guys Ive learned a lot about the bike as a result of all this.

• Like 2

I have reading through old posts.......there is quite a bit of solid trail side diagnostic info in here.

I am sorry he had the problem but glad for the wealth of info.:thumbsup: