Ouray and Telluride police

Later in summer, doing the Black bear and Imogene loop, and back to silverton over Corkscrew pass, What is the chance of getting stopped for riding an unplated bike through Telluride, and on Highway 550 between Ouray and the entrance to Corkscrew pass at Ironton?

Edited by Weezer the Geezer

On 6/29/2017 at 10:42 PM, Weezer the Geezer said:

Later in summer, doing the Black bear and Imogene loop, and back to silverton over Corkscrew pass, What is the chance of getting stopped for riding an unplated bike through Telluride, and on Highway 550 between Ouray and the entrance to Corkscrew pass at Ironton?

Two years ago we stayed in Ridgway, which is just outside of Ouray. There were five of us on KTM's...two of us had plates. We rode from Ridgway to Ouray on Hwy 550, several times while going to and from the trails. Always had one guy leading who was plated and one at the rear who was also plated. We experienced zero issues with the police. Both the police, the locals and the tourists seemed to be very dirt bike friendly.

Rode into Telluride for lunch one day from over Imogene pass and once again had zero issues with police. Truthfully, it was the snotty tourists in Telluride who we had issue with. From nasty stare downs to name calling, we experienced it. I kid you not, while preparing to walk into a restaurant on Colorado street, we were standing next to our bikes taking off our gear when a group of young tourists walked by and I heard one of them mouth under his breath "Dorks!" I took the high rode and didn't offer a verbal rebuttal. Just simply made eye contact and gave him an FO type stare. Another group walked by and made a comment about us looking like storm troopers. Ha! Oh well, whatever. The food was good and the ride to and from Ouray to Telluride over Imogene was worth it. 

You should be fine in both places. Of course, ride at or below the speed limit and try to be as quiet as possible. 

Couple of pics from our trip. First one is us imbibing in a few local brews at the Ouray Brewery after a long day on the trails. Second is us in Telluride after our lunch. This was right after being insulted by the dirt bike loving tourists.

IMG_1344.JPG

JS CO 8 Telluride.JPG

Edited by BD100
  • Like 5

We ride telluride and silverton regularly.  I've been trough Ouray many times but can't remember seeing a police officer.  You may want to avoid riding 550 where you can.  

The note above is accurate.  As long as you don't ride like a hooligan, 550 is the only potential for trouble but it's unlikely on that short stretch.  I've been pulled over on 550 just outside of Silverton because the cop couldn't see my plate.  I had one thankfully.  In Telluride, the speed limit is very slow, 15 mph I think.   

Snobby tourists are the most probable source of conflict.  Take the high road like BD100.  

If you go to Silverton, there are designated roads that OHV's are allowed on.  It doesn't include the main drag.  Just go slow and quiet, smile, be friendly and you shouldn't have any issues.  

Edited by hrpufinstuff

29 minutes ago, hrpufinstuff said:

We ride telluride and silverton regularly.  I've been trough Ouray many times but can't remember seeing a police officer.  You may want to avoid riding 550 where you can.  

The note above is accurate.  As long as you don't ride like a hooligan, 550 is the only potential for trouble but it's unlikely on that short stretch.  I've been pulled over on 550 just outside of Silverton because the cop couldn't see my plate.  I had one thankfully.  In Telluride, the speed limit is very slow, 15 mph I think.   

Snobby tourists are the most probable source of conflict.  Take the high road like BD100.  

If you go to Silverton, there are designated roads that OHV's are allowed on.  It doesn't include the main drag.  Just go slow and quiet, smile, be friendly and you shouldn't have any issues.  

I was in Silverton a couple weeks ago.  There were all kinds of unplated OHVs on the main drag with no problems from police.  I wouldn't worry about Ouray too much, either.  Telluride I avoid if at all possible, have never done Black Bear on a bike and probably never will.  One of our favorite riding areas is just down the road from T-ride, the single track of Rico/Dolores.

There is a  dirt road between Ouray and Ridgeway that eliminates any need to use 550. Always enjoy going to Telluride and eating at the Flora Dora. Great food and they were dirt gear friendly. Always make our trips to CO after school starts, much less touristas.

Silverton has specific roads that are designated as the OHV route. A group of towns people have worked VERY hard to make and keep this possible. But like anywhere there are a handful of Silverton locals that are anti OHV and will throw a fit if you are not on the designated roads.

Kind of off topic in regards to Ouray & Telluride, but figured still good info for the area! I'll be up there next week!!

They have a great FB page with info "Silverton Colorado OHV Educational Group"

Thanks for the feedback.  I first did Black Bear to Telluride in 1971.  It was almost a ghost town then and had a gravel main street.  It sure has changed since Then!  I rode it again last year on a vintage Suzuki to commemorate my 75th birthday, and 45th anniversary of the first ride, but we had plated bikes last year.  This year a friend ask about taking his unplated bike.

LOL, the dirt bike riding gear has also changed since 1971.  Back then we used open face helmets, brown leather bomber jackets, Levi jeans, and lace up lineman boots.  In a way I can understand the people in Telluride seeing today's riders as "dorks."  (But in their mind I think they see a lot of dorks) I got out of bikes in 1976 when kids came along, and didn't start riding again until 2008.  I remember telling my wife that today's riders look like they are wearing clown suits.  And I think the average person out there see today's gear as being over the top.  I understand the need for protection, but the combination of designs and colors to my 75 year old mind are still hard to accept.  The guys and gals I ride with make fun of my more conventional clothing.

Keep on riding, and if you are on the trails right after Labor day, maybe we will meet!  But I will be riding a Honda CRF this time.

Yep, telluride cops are chill as long as you don't draw attention to yourselves while riding thru town. This place ain't what it used to be thats for sure. Theres still a bunch of really great people here but its hard to find them now that the town is filled with second, third and fourth home owners and uptight tourists. I miss the 90's!! A great place for food in telluride is Aemono. Its out at Society turn near the Conoco. Less touristy, so you won't get the dirty looks and the owner is pro moto. Enjoy your trip!!

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 6:19 AM, BD100 said:

Two years ago we stayed in Ridgway, which is just outside of Ouray. There were five of us on KTM's...two of us had plates. We rode from Ridgway to Ouray on Hwy 550, several times while going to and from the trails. Always had one guy leading who was plated and one at the rear who was also plated. We experienced zero issues with the police. Both the police, the locals and the tourists seemed to be very dirt bike friendly.

Rode into Telluride for lunch one day from over Imogene pass and once again had zero issues with police. Truthfully, it was the snotty tourists in Telluride who we had issue with. From nasty stare downs to name calling, we experienced it. I kid you not, while preparing to walk into a restaurant on Colorado street, we were standing next to our bikes taking off our gear when a group of young tourists walked by and I heard one of them mouth under his breath "Dorks!" I took the high rode and didn't offer a verbal rebuttal. Just simply made eye contact and gave him an FO type stare. Another group walked by and made a comment about us looking like storm troopers. Ha! Oh well, whatever. The food was good and the ride to and from Ouray to Telluride over Imogene was worth it. 

You should be fine in both places. Of course, ride at or below the speed limit and try to be as quiet as possible. 

Couple of pics from our trip. First one is us imbibing in a few local brews at the Ouray Brewery after a long day on the trails. Second is us in Telluride after our lunch. This was right after being insulted by the dirt bike loving tourists.

IMG_1344.JPG

JS CO 8 Telluride.JPG

Storm troopers. Lol  Been called a power ranger but not a storm trooper.