'16 501S air box mod needed?

Title says it all.  I'm just wondering if my 2016 FE501 needs in airbox modification or if it's fine the way it is. Thanks.

I put six 1' holes in my 350 are box. They are a little starved for air. You'll want a pipe and EU or AU map or power commander 

I have the EU map and the FMF slip-on on my '16 501 and it runs great.  I didn't mod the air box.  I had the '14 EU map loaded per my mechanic as he liked the fueling of it better.

20 hours ago, BigBelly said:

Title says it all.  I'm just wondering if my 2016 FE501 needs in airbox modification or if it's fine the way it is. Thanks.

Do not. Try this first... take the plastic cover off and ride for a bit and see if you notice a difference. Nada. 

Map and tps adjustment yes. Those are the two things that make the bike purr. 

I was just wondering this same thing. I got mine used with around 245miles on it, almost new, but it already has been de-smogged, a FMF silencer installed, and the gearing changed to 14/48 from stock. It might of even had suspension work done too because I read that the 4CS forks are suppose to be harsh and mine are smooth as butter, actually too soft and smooth (I have the clickers all the way to the hardest setting and it's still too soft for me).

My bike doesn't appear to have any air box mods but I would still like to make the power feel a little more motocrossy on top. Don't get me wrong, the low end torque is great, and I can pull a holeshot in 3rd gear no problem, and not to mention I finally made this hill climb that I was never able to make before on a KX250 2t or KX450 4t, but ripping down a start/straight away after a few shifts it doesn't seem to pull nearly as hard as my KX450f did albeit the Husky still has faster top speed (extra gear/cheating hehe). Does opening up the air box a little improve high RPM/top end pull? I've only cleaned the air filter once since getting the bike and the air box does seem really sealed off - where does it get air from? lol.

Edited by Emig5m

On 6/30/2017 at 10:47 PM, TigerTanker said:

Lol, it was lunger that recommended taking the cover off. That was 2 yrs ago. 

After having it on the dyno with holes covered and then open, it's better to let them breath a bit. 

• Like 1