Would u guys send this back?

Just recieved my yz250 top end back from having it converted to 300cc. Ive noticed on the nikasil coating what look like die grinder marks, possibly from where they cleaned up the ports after coating and thr bit has skipped up the bore

Im extremely hesitant to install this and run it as i believe it will wear excessivly quick in this area.... the marks can be felt with your finger nail quite easily. Ive emailed the company but being that it is now the weekend... (aus) i wont hear anything for days :/ 20170630_190916.thumb.jpg.7ff12be15e5f17cbc99b5186935f42df.jpg

What im worried about is it now gives a point where the nikasil will wear or possibly flake off faster than it should 

Document it with them and get them to commit to fixing it either now or later if you decide to try it. Then you're covered either way. You might try running it, It could be fine. it looks like a good job other than that. If you decide to try it, pull it apart after 20 hours and inspect everything especially the ring in that spot. Sorry man, I feel your pain. I hate being in that position

That would go back in a heart beat! QC inspection must have had his head up his ____, when that passed by his desk.. That should have never even been shipped out of the business. Was in Mongoose Racing? 

• Like 2

wouldn't even have to think about that one.  Send it back!  you paid big $$ for high quality work, and they send you questionable parts?!  Nuh-uh.  Make them eat the shipping too.  Who was it BTW?  

Can't believe they'd even send that back to you. They should come back perfect 

So i got a phonecall from the business... the marks were caused by a porting tool before the nikasil plating was carried out... it was believed the nikasil would fill the pits. According to the electroplating business and the business owner it will be completely fine as the small pits will be filled with oil. They have given a partial refund and warranted any issues that may become of it. 

So i guess i will run it and if any issues arrise i will be chasing warranty 

• Like 1

So i got a phonecall from the business... the marks were caused by a porting tool before the nikasil plating was carried out... it was believed the nikasil would fill the pits. According to the electroplating business and the business owner it will be completely fine as the small pits will be filled with oil. They have given a partial refund and warranted any issues that may become of it. 

Will they warranty the piston/rings or just the cylinder?

You are never going to be happy knowing those imperfections are on your cylinder.

When the piston is screaming at 13,000 rpm i dont think you will even notice if .0000001 ml of oil is getting past the rings

• Like 2

You're a fool to accept that. When it does fail they will point the finger back at you and claim dirty air cleaner or neglect.

The correct resolution would​ be strip, weld , bore and replate. The partially refund is hush money. Any legitimate business would have contacted you and presented you with the option when it happened, not wait for you to find it and contact them.

"According to the electroplating business and the business owner it will be completely fine as the small pits will be filled with oil".  Basically they are saying they knew it was like that, didn't tell you hoping you wouldn't notice, and are now saying, go ahead and if you have a problem bring it back.  Oh and here's some of you money back.  

I'd be hesitant running it. When your ring fails and drops into your crank are they going to foot that bill?  Send it back.