Sign in to follow this  

Yz 250 2010 swingarm question

Hey Thumpertalk! 

First time posting here but been reading forums for a long time.

I am looking to buy a new swingarm for my 2010 yz250 since the previous owner hadn't changed or greased the bearings since 2010 (bought it last year). All the pins in the bearings were out, making the collar grind through to the alu and make the hole where the bearing sit oval. Also he has welded the swing in one place due to a crack. Funny thing to discover huh, I just thought my suspension was a little on the hard side 🤦 .

So what I am asking is what swing arms will fit? As I understand it from reading alot of older threads on this forum and others

2006- yz 125/250 swingarm
2006-2008 yz 250/450 swingarm
wr250f 06-13
wr450f 06-15

Would all fit, but they have diffrent part numbers for diffrent years eg 06-07 yz 125/250 and 08+ and I am wondering what that means? I think I read somewhere that it was due to change in the chain guide mount or something? Is the geometry 100% the same? Must fit with the brake and everything but I think that's fine. 

If anyone know 100% I would be really happy :D ! Thanks

Untitled.jpg

I know the 08 plus use a different brake caliper mount.
A common mod is using an 09 plus yz250f swingarm. It is supposed to be better but you will need different axle and such.

1 minute ago, speedtoad said:

I know the 08 plus use a different brake caliper mount.
A common mod is using an 09 plus yz250f swingarm. It is supposed to be better but you will need different axle and such.

I think it's the 06- with the new caliper mount, not the 08. Correct me if wrong.

Yeah been thinking about doing it, but will take to much time right now. I just wanna go ride and I have new bearings for original swing at home. 

Might just put them in and use some loctite bearing lock fluid. You'd think that would work? The hole diameter is oval and about 0.25-0.5mm lager on the grinded side. Feels wrong to put it back on though. 

// Christoffer 

All these share the same swingarm

2008 YZ125 (YZ125X1) - Rear Arm

2008 YZ250 (YZ250X) - Rear Arm

2009 WR250F (WR250FY) - Rear Arm

2009 WR450F (WR450FY) - Rear Arm

2009 YZ125 (YZ125Y) - Rear Arm

2009 YZ250 (YZ250Y) - Rear Arm

2010 YZ125 (YZ125Z) - Rear Arm

2010 YZ250 (YZ250Z) - Rear Arm

2011 WR250F (WR250FA) - Rear Arm

2011 WR450F (WR450FA) - Rear Arm

2011 YZ125 (YZ125A1) - Rear Arm

2011 YZ250 (YZ250A1) - Rear Arm

2012 WR250F (WR250FB) - Rear Arm

2012 WR450F (WR450FB) - Rear Arm

2012 YZ125 (YZ125B1) - Rear Arm

2012 YZ250 (YZ250B2) - Rear Arm

2013 WR250F (WR250FD) - Rear Arm

2013 WR450F (WR450FD) - Rear Arm

2013 YZ125 (YZ125D2) - Rear Arm

2013 YZ250 (YZ250D2) - Rear Arm

2014 WR450F (WR450FE) - Rear Arm

2014 YZ125 (YZ125E2) - Rear Arm

2014 YZ250 (YZ250E2) - Rear Arm

2015 WR450F (WR450FF) - Rear Arm

2015 YZ125 (YZ125F2) - Rear Arm

2015 YZ250 (YZ250F2) - Rear Arm

2016 YZ125G (YZ125G2) - Rear Arm

2016 YZ250G (YZ250G2) - Rear Arm

2016 YZ250X (YZ250XG) - Rear Arm

2017 YZ125 (YZ125H2) - Rear Arm

2017 YZ250 (YZ250H2) - Rear Arm

2017 YZ250X (YZ250XH) - Rear Arm

2018 YZ125 (YZ125J2) - Rear Arm

2018 YZ250 (YZ250J2) - Rear Arm

2018 YZ250X (YZ250XJ) - Rear Arm

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arnego2 said:

How about bringing the affected piece to a machine shop where they should have no problem making it round again. 

I might just have to do that, I am from Sweden and not many machine shops left here. Not many swingarms either though. Wish I was from USA. Would they weld and drill it out again or how'd you think they would fix it? 

40 minutes ago, Matthias V. said:

06-07 yz uses an other chain guide,  the newer model they used since 2008 won't fit on a 2006-2007 swingarm

Thank you, that was what I thought. Good to get it confirmed! Do you know if it's easy spottable by looking at it? Tried to spot any diffrence on ebay photos bit could not make it out. 

Edited by Christoffer Brandel

They would fill in material and redo the roundness I guess. 

A good Epoxy could also work, depending if it stands pressure. There are some pretty good epoxies available in the 1rst world. 

57 minutes ago, Christoffer Brandel said:

Thank you, that was what I thought. Good to get it confirmed! Do you know if it's easy spottable by looking at it? Tried to spot any diffrence on ebay photos bit could not make it out. 

here is my 2007 bike, you can see the chainguide is larger than the model since 2008. the holes on the swingarm are further apart on the 2005-2007 model. if you measure the holes on your swingarm you know the measurements of the holes. its only a few mm difference so I don't think you can see it on a picture

IMG_6434.JPG

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Matthias V. said:

here is my 2007 bike, you can see the chainguide is larger than the model since 2008. the holes on the swingarm are further apart on the 2005-2007 model. if you measure the holes on your swingarm you know the measurements of the holes. its only a few mm difference so I don't think you can see it on a picture

IMG_6434.JPG

Thank you for the indepth information dude, looks like I will get a 06-07 and just buy a new chain guide since 08+ is impossible to source here.  Will probably get an acerbis 2.0, want a plastic one anyway. 

P. S slick looking bike man!   Wish my 10 looked like that haha. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Christoffer Brandel said:

Thank you for the indepth information dude, looks like I will get a 06-07 and just buy a new chain guide since 08+ is impossible to source here.  Will probably get an acerbis 2.0, want a plastic one anyway. 

P. S slick looking bike man!   Wish my 10 looked like that haha. 

the acerbis 2.0 is a good option, maybe i try also 1 if mine is worn out.

Thanks! the bike is completely rebuild after a big crash I had last year..

25 minutes ago, Matthias V. said:

the acerbis 2.0 is a good option, maybe i try also 1 if mine is worn out.

Thanks! the bike is completely rebuild after a big crash I had last year..

Yeah seems to fit all models 05- to which is nice! 

Ouch, did you got alot of injuries? I bet if you recovered as good as your bike did you'll be faster than ever this year ?. 

I am in the middle of rebuild myself since last owner apparently neglected the bike. Even told me he used to race so thought I was buying a well maintenced bike, guess I never been more wrong ?. 

I don't mind tho the rebuild is half the fun anyway. 

//Christoffer 

13 minutes ago, Christoffer Brandel said:

Yeah seems to fit all models 05- to which is nice! 

Ouch, did you got alot of injuries? I bet if you recovered as good as your bike did you'll be faster than ever this year ?. 

I am in the middle of rebuild myself since last owner apparently neglected the bike. Even told me he used to race so thought I was buying a well maintenced bike, guess I never been more wrong ?. 

I don't mind tho the rebuild is half the fun anyway. 

//Christoffer 

Dislocated and broke my wrist at 2 places. Took about 8 months to ride again and now a year after the crash had surgery to take the screw out of my wrist,  I have to wait a month to ride again now. It could have been worse, a lot of time to maintenance my bike  🙂

Good luck with the rebuild!

Do not epoxy a hole where bearings live. That would not be a "good as new" type of fix. That would only be a "I'm on a riding trip and I want to make it go another day" type of patch, at best!

You can buy a brand new Yamaha swing arm for your 2010 YZ250 in the USA for $552.32 from MotoSport.com:
http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem-parts/yamaha/2010/yz250/rear-arm

That is a lot of money for some folks. I get that. But, you didn't say that you were dead set on doing this the least expensive way possible either.

You mentioned that your old swingarm has already been welded. I assuming that you can tell the difference between the factory welds and a repair weld. As I'm sure you are aware, there are a number of factory welds on these swingarms.

If your swing arm was mine, and I was sure there was a repair weld on it, I would look that thing over very carefully. I would look for dents, twists, other potential cracks, etc. Swing arms do not crack easily. They crack when they are crashed hard.

The idea of repairing it with a machine shop is not a bad idea, but if you don't take it to a good shop, they can leave you with the job done wrong, and you won't even know. I'm just saying that there are some risk here.

In the US I would expect to pay a machine shop $100 minimum, to do something quite simple. To return a wallered out hole back to a factory spec, metal must be added. This is done with aluminum welding. I guess it could be bushed or rebuilt somehow too. For a good weld and re-machining I would expect to invest $200 - $300 minimum, to get this done in the US.

A 2010 YZ 250 in decent shape sells for around $3000 - $3500 used, in the US. You are messing with a nice bike, in my mind. I say fix it right. Make your bike a tight reliable piece. If you like to ride, you will be happy you did.

Edited by Hendricus

In the US, my friends and I like these chain guides. We think these are the best.
http://www.tmdesignworks.com/

If you call them, they will walk you through whatever you want to buy. The guys who answer the phone know theur products really well. If they say it will fit, it will fit.

Edited by Hendricus

4 hours ago, Hendricus said:

Do not epoxy a hole where bearings live. That would not be a "good as new" type of fix. That would only be a "I'm on a riding trip and I want to make it go another day" type of patch, at best!

You can buy a brand new Yamaha swing arm for your 2010 YZ250 in the USA for $552.32 from MotoSport.com:
http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem-parts/yamaha/2010/yz250/rear-arm

That is a lot of money for some folks. I get that. But, you didn't say that you were dead set on doing this the least expensive way possible either.

You mentioned that your old swingarm has already been welded. I assuming that you can tell the difference between the factory welds and a repair weld. As I'm sure you are aware, there are a number of factory welds on these swingarms.

If your swing arm was mine, and I was sure there was a repair weld on it, I would look that thing over very carefully. I would look for dents, twists, other potential cracks, etc. Swing arms do not crack easily. They crack when they are crashed hard.

The idea of repairing it with a machine shop is not a bad idea, but if you don't take it to a good shop, they can leave you with the job done wrong, and you won't even know. I'm just saying that there are some risk here.

In the US I would expect to pay a machine shop $100 minimum, to do something quite simple. To return a wallered out hole back to a factory spec, metal must be added. This is done with aluminum welding. I guess it could be bushed or rebuilt somehow too. For a good weld and re-machining I would expect to invest $200 - $300 minimum, to get this done in the US.

A 2010 YZ 250 in decent shape sells for around $3000 - $3500 used, in the US. You are messing with a nice bike, in my mind. I say fix it right. Make your bike a tight reliable piece. If you like to ride, you will be happy you did.

Hey, thanks for your input. We seem to share the same values. I am not going to try to repair it I think. It's just to beat up and not going to be worth it. 

I can indeed see difference between welds. It's been welded around the part where the bearing sit on one side. You can see the crack that's welded. Probably cracked because the bearings were all locked up. Sure stress that area alot if it can't roll. 

I'm going to try and source a used one in good condition. I don't want to buy a new one since I am from EU and they are pricy, around $700. Then I rather buy a new bike,  can get a new 2017 for $7300 which is a pretty good deal here in Sweden. 

Probably going with the acerbis chain guide though, tmdesign is pretty pricy atleast in EU. 

// Christoffer 

• Like 1