300 exc, now less terrifying

Thanks to everyone that chimed on my troubles with the 300.  For those that don't know I was having trouble managing my 300.   I wound up on my back with a pretty major hematoma. 

After I started to recover I took the 300 down to an open and straight dirt road and practiced just lifting the front end.   Without having the distractions of woods this made things a lot easier. I could reliably pop the front end up on throttle alone. I should have, perhaps, mentioned that I am without an index finger on my left hand due to a mishap with a table saw. Still waiting for it to grow back. So, I'm never going to have normal person's clutch control.    I then, stupidly, took the bike to an easy dirt road and tried my new 'skills' there.  I wound up flipping the bike again, landing on my back again. breaking the subframe and tail section again. Thankfully, this time, I was wearing a lot of armor and aside from a bit of soreness no real problem.  Just money. 

When I was having the subframe repaired I had the welder cut down my skid plate for easy access to the PV adjuster. Before adjusting the PV meant dropping the skid plate and it made it so that I really didn't mess with it much. With easy access, I started messing with it.  Whoa, so much easier to ride. So much less scary noises! I wound up with the green spring a couple turns in for the moment. With the red spring, it came with the bike was set to There Will Be Blood, with the yellow spring it was set to Resiviour Dogs. Now with the green spring, it's set to On Golden Pond. 

Edited by Adam N.
  • Like 3

Practice using your rear break to drop the front end, saved my rear a few times (back when I road them monsters).

• Like 2

I don't know if it applies but I use my middle finger in the clutch. It does get tired more quickly than my index but it is commonly done so you can learn it.

Glad to hear you are getting it worked out.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, billtro11 said:

you sound prime for a TTR 125

Really? 

JW actually uses the green PV spring as he tend to hook up better with it instead of spinning tires. 

Edited by Adam N.

That's the beauty of the ktm motor, it's easy to make it mild or wild. Ive rideen a couple 300's that were tame as a pussy cat.  Traded my 200 (setup to run hard) and I was completely underwhelmed by it.  He was surprised at how quick and strong the 200 was. 

Glad you found a setup that works for you. 

What's nice is that I can run green until I get my head around the 2 stokieness of it.  At some point, if so moved, I can change up.  Right now, with the injuries and stuff green is good. 

22 minutes ago, KTMRider4Life said:

He was surprised at how quick and strong the 200 was. 

When I was shopping for this bike I rode two different 200s.  Both were insane.  Coming from four strokes it was hard for me to imagine how tuneable the KTM 2 stroke actually is.  Part of the reason that I didn't mess around with the PV spring is that I didn't really think it could make that much of a difference.  I was very wrong.  I feel like I can grow with this bike instead of outgrowing it. 

• Like 3