xr400 right crankcase gasket replacement doesn't look right

So I had to do a lot of maintenance on my engine after my auto chain tensioner failed on a ride.  Found that my old right crankcase gasket was broken in several parts and leaking so I ordered a replacement and scraped off the old one.  What I found with the replacement though(OEM part 1394-KCY-671) is that it lacks the molded channels of the one I removed and this has me worried.

I don't want to button up my engine until I know that this part is correct.  If it isn't - is there a source for for the molded gasket?

Thanks!

Sorry - it's a '97 so most likely had the older part.  Should I try to source the 670 or is the 671 going to work with my year.  Also, It's bored out to a 440.

Thanks

I don't see Honda listing the -671 for the application if it wasn't going to do the job. It's your call. If you can source a -670 and feel more comfortable with going that route, do it.

I don't remember reading any posts of failure of either of those gaskets.

Edited by Trailryder42

right - this makes sense.  I'm curious though, why the channels were removed. 

This bike has received very little maintenance in all the years it's been on the island (Dominican Republic) and I'm the fourth owner, so I'm inheriting some very old and sometimes jury-rigged parts.  The old gasket didn't fail per se - it was broken at the front - probably from someone carelessly prying the case off with a screwdriver and I really don't want to silicone it like the previous owner had done.

I have a 98 xr400 and the local Honda dealer here sold me the same gasket 11394-KCY-671 from all the parts iv looked up over the time 96-99 parts seem to be compatible.

as for that gasket I have one fitted in my bike and has never leaked or caused any problems. I would think you'll be fine.

• Like 1

Cool - thanks for all the responses. So does anyone know why the gasket went from being channeled to a more simple design?  Seems like blocking up the outlets/removing the channels is not the best idea but it must work....

I doubt that it will block any thing Honda would not sell a part for a specific model if it was going to cause damage.

my guess as to why they changed the design is the extra thickness was not that nesesery and its cheaper to manufacture with out it (cheaper to make and sell for the same price more profit) every thing is driven by the dollar!

No, what it is is an advancement in technology, a lesser supply or materials globally, and a higher deman as time goes on. Honda, which is a very commercial distributor. Makes ish right so they can sell thousands of the correct necessary product. This was an educated decision executed by professionals. Not oh lets make this lighter to sell more. Hinda is synonymous with quality 

Edited by notoriousE-R-I-C

quick update - the rebuild went well - new cam chain, guides, manual tensioner, side cover, gasket.  Found some valve seat damage but other than that, the 440 is going strong (for now).  It's still a shock not leaking oil during and after rides.  

• Like 1

sounds good but be carful with damaged seats if you run it too long there is the chance of burning valves. im guessing the seats were pitted. exhaust?

yeah - it's one exhaust valve, left side, pitted. Next up is some suspension work, bearing and rear brake hydraulic replacement.  I'll tend to the valves then, as well. 

Id give the valves a grind and see how they look. but if the pits are still there you may have to take the head in to get the seats cut. (if you don't have a seat cutter) its best to have the valves and seats in tip top condition to prevent leaks and premature wear.

if you get the seats cut see if you can get a 3 angle cut done its best for air flow.