Which one!!!

Hey everyone

i need some help. I am 34, been riding motorcycles and dirt bikes my whole life currently I'm riding a 2014 CRF 250 L on off-road bike that's been modified to the hill to get as much out of it as I can.  i've been wanting a bike with more power and something I could put on the street just to get me back-and-forth to the trails.  I do not want to have to trailer my bike every time I want to go for a ride, that's the one thing I liked about my little CRF.  I got to take a couple of beta's for a ride today. A 430 rr-s and a X-trainer. This dealer is the only dealer in my state which is Maine he's sold out of the 350 RR-S.   if I went 4- stroke he thought that would be the better bike for me.  I thought that the X trainer was a lot of fun .  More power than my CRF .  I like how it was nice and light and I can touch the ground well.  I ride on old dirt roads, fire roads, in the woods on snowsled trails, some mud, some sand pits a little bit of everything.  I basically play around.  I use the pavement just to get to the trails where I want to ride.  I ride with my little sister on her dirtbike my girlfriend on the ATV I go out with friends you have a TV's so it's nothing real extreme.  Is the X trainer what I am looking for?  I can put that X-trainer on the road here. is there anything I should know about it?  How's it reliability?  This dealer lives three hours from me. so taking it back to him if need be is a process. 

I'm just looking on getting some advice from experienced beta riders to help me out.

thank you!

Edited by gagallagher04401

How far do you have to ride to get to your trails?

I have around 10 hours and 80 miles on my Xtrainer. Only issue so far was the horn wire terminals grounding out on the frame, causing the display to flicker and engine management light to come on. Simply fix.

I have been riding only MX bikes for the last 25 years, this is my 1st real trail bike. I like it. If I could only one 1 bike would it be it? No. But since your coming from a 250L I think it will suit you fine for a while.

One downside, to some, is the down sized suspension. It's fine for single track but it much to soft for wide open conditions on rough terrain, fast whoops and g-outs. That can be fixed with a money.

Another is fuel mileage isn't as good as the 4 strokes.

As far as being hesitant because it's a 2 stroke, don't be. As long as your road trip to the trail doesn't include stretches down the interstate it will be fine. I also have a 2014 YZ250F. The Beta has reaffirmed how much better I like 2 strokes.

• Like 1

All I had done to the XT was sprung for weight, updated dampening, and a zuke necj needle and it is happy on the road. It could use balanced tires and a smaller rear sprocket, but it's totally doable for a between trail dual sport. It is cheap to do those mods.

I went xtrainer 2t for the weight, size, feel and power. I'd rather deal with XT nuances than 4t weight...but they are really all so good it's not like you can go wrong...my 2nd bike will/would be a 390 if I win the lottery. I will admit the XT shines more on tight trails vs open ground, I'm still fiddling with setup to get it stable while still nimble and neutral

A 250 or 300rr is a solid option, 250's seem more available and are very good with more stability than the xt

I have my Xtrainer plated. I ride Pavement and it does just great at 55. Anything above that it is a bit wound out. I get about 30 MPG. Not great but liveable.

I use to have a KLX250S so I know about where you are coming from. The Xtrainer is superb in the single track. I can go places I would never have taken the KLX.

I can ride 45-50 on dirt roads just fine. Yes it is not great going fast if it is rough or whooped out trails.

This is my first 2-stroke, love it.

• Like 1

I like everything about it but what scares me is the high-speed handling that you guys mention.  I do do a lot of riding on logging type roads and rough, rutted up, sometimes muddy type snowmobile trails.  Granted I would consider myself a intermediate rider.  So maybe it would be more noticeable if I were a more advanced rider. If I'm going to dump the extra money into it to make the suspension right I feel like I should maybe go with either a 350 or 390. I just don't know. :(  I like the low-cost of the XT, its weight, and how well I can touch the ground. Just FYI  I am 5'8" 205--210 pounds in gear.