Brake Shoe recommendations

First off, yes I did a search, but they were all fairly dated and most didn't really give me a distinct answer.

Need to replace my brake shoes, given that they've been put through abuse this week on the HMT system and they got fairly wet.  Would like to get some recommendations as to what shoes people are using and are getting good results.  (My bike is new to me and this will be the first change.  Pretty sure the shoes in there are originals, haven't checked yet.)

Thanks in advance for any information shared.

OEM offers two levels, one set with metallic speckles and one set with out.

The metallic speckles shoes cost a little more than the non speckled shoes.

I have used both sets and cannot tell the difference, but I have so much compression in my bikes and all my flywheels are as light as I dare, so I don't need my to use my rear brake(s) much anyway.... also thanks to my Hagon rear shock, my rear tire hooks so well whether I'm slowing or on the throttle.

Front brake is a different story, I'm always leaning hard on it hard when I need to slow down rapidly.

But come to think of it, never have had to replace pads much. Must be because I only use OEM pads?

Thanks.  I'm pretty sure I read a similar post you put up in a previous thread.

This bike came to me completely stock, so I had to rely on the rear brake on descents quite a bit.  Throw in the mud/water aspect and it faded fast and as I said, I'm pretty sure it' s the original shoes.

Given this was the first real hard riding the bike has received from my fat a$$, I've given it a good shakedown and am now chomping at the bit to refine it.  The suspension is at the top of the list.  Well, right after I replace the original bars that I customized with one mishap.

• Like 1

I ride in the wet PNW and water fade of drum brakes was always a problem, also high maintenance. When I competed in Enduros I had to take apart and clean the brakes after every event and replace the front shoes every other, so 140-200 miles on a set of front shoes.  I used a hack saw and cut lots of  "X" slots in the shoes to help clean water off the drum surface.  EBC sells shoes with slots and a more resistant lining material, I added them to OEM shoes. 

On disc brakes there are several pad compounds that provide performance advantages for different terrain and riding. Most of the Honda pads are ultra high friction and grabby at low speeds so not good for low traction situations, but they have low lever effort.  EBC sells variety of pad materials for different types of terrain and riding. IMO their suffix R pads are best for wet condition, suffix X are good for offroad.

• Like 4