86 CR 500 Owners

I have a great 1986 CR 500, I truly luv it.  But I've been trough a couple clutch side covers.  Magnesium just break down around the impeller area.  So now I just drain it all the time, if its going to sit for awhile. Which it does, because as much as I luv it, I only ride it at a couple of events a year.

Just wondering if any one had any tips or tricks they have pick up over the years, with these cases falling apart.

BTW, put a rear disc brake on my mine best thing ever. Stopping is important on these beasts!!

Thanks 

DSC_0026.jpg

It will be hard to have a mag cover not rot out, no matter the coolant, because unfortunately there are not really any around that dont have some type of damage. That area is where bigger problems come from

but if you really want to fix it right, just buy an aluminum side cover from a 90-01 cr500. It will actually need to be ( if you buy new) from a 93-01. It is aluminum, and has a removeable clutch cover, which you will need as well, and you will also need to get a hose to connect wp outlet to cylinder. 

Doing this will offer many benefits:

no more rot

removeable clutch cover

ability to run a 90-01 clutch assembly ( 1 more steel/ fiber than 84-89)

Slightly more oil capacity

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Byron909 said:

It will be hard to have a mag cover not rot out, no matter the coolant, because unfortunately there are not really any around that dont have some type of damage. That area is where bigger problems come from

but if you really want to fix it right, just buy an aluminum side cover from a 90-01 cr500. It will actually need to be ( if you buy new) from a 93-01. It is aluminum, and has a removeable clutch cover, which you will need as well, and you will also need to get a hose to connect wp outlet to cylinder. 

Doing this will offer many benefits:

no more rot

removeable clutch cover

ability to run a 90-01 clutch assembly ( 1 more steel/ fiber than 84-89)

Slightly more oil capacity

Thank you very much, all that being said, I wonder if you could put a ReKluse clutch in the 86?? 

44 minutes ago, jnr450r said:

Thank you very much, all that being said, I wonder if you could put a ReKluse clutch in the 86?? 

A friends  brother has one in a 87 cr500. I'm not sure if Rekluse is offering them for the cr500 anymore. Give them a call and find out. If i could put one in my 85 cr250 i would.

• Like 1

I was curious so i looked on Rekluse web site .they list a z start pro for a 1990 cr500. Im not sure what you would need to change out to make work.