my xr200r Motor seized up breaking it in.....

2 hours ago, chadzu said:

Probably siezed the cam

it doesnt kick over so something is frozen and you may just be right.....i cant dig into it until next week......a friend told me it might of ran lean being that i had it bored to 66mm also..... all i know is that this really sucks......im partially handicapped and it took a lot out of me to rebuild with tearing the motor out of the frame and putting it back......plus all the other things you have to do to put the motor back together......but thanks anyway for your answer......hopefully its something i can fix easily without spending all kinds of money and time

10 hours ago, joethumper said:

it doesnt kick over so something is frozen and you may just be right.....i cant dig into it until next week......a friend told me it might of ran lean being that i had it bored to 66mm also..... all i know is that this really sucks......im partially handicapped and it took a lot out of me to rebuild with tearing the motor out of the frame and putting it back......plus all the other things you have to do to put the motor back together......but thanks anyway for your answer......hopefully its something i can fix easily without spending all kinds of money and time

Sorry to hear about your luck my friend.  Due to the larger bore the carb will meter richer, not leaner so that was not your issue.  Even if the carb was a little lean these good old engines are very tolerant to imperfect jetting and since you did a gentle break-in it would have had little impact.

What ring end gap did you have when you filed the rings?

11 hours ago, VortecCPI said:

Sorry to hear about your luck my friend.  Due to the larger bore the carb will meter richer, not leaner so that was not your issue.  Even if the carb was a little lean these good old engines are very tolerant to imperfect jetting and since you did a gentle break-in it would have had little impact.

ring end gap? file?.......i didnt even know anything about that......... i should of gave it to my motor guy and let him build it......and i was all excited to ride this summer on a half decent bike..... yeah im going to take her apart sunday and see what i find.....ill let you guys know..... thank you vortec and chad

6 hours ago, chadzu said:

You have to be careful not to plug up the oil passages to the head. It's pretty easy to get some sealant in the hole. When you have a chance to work on it try and loosen the rocker cover and see if it frees up.

thanks chad ill do some digging sunday and let you guys know what happened

On 6/30/2017 at 7:49 PM, chadzu said:

Probably siezed the cam

thats what it was.....i did what you said and sure enough that collar was frozen on it......so i threw it in the freezer to hopefully free it up?

the piston moves up and down which is good.....

so putting sealant on it probably did it?......i did such a tiny thin bead and tried to stay away from any hole.....but who am i to know whats right

thank you for your help.....both of you guys!!!!!

On 6/30/2017 at 7:49 PM, chadzu said:

Probably siezed the cam

On 7/1/2017 at 9:26 AM, VortecCPI said:

got the collar off.....shop down the street put it in his lathe and twisted it off.....its a little torn up in side but im going to try to make it work like it used to be.....if not ill buy a new one.....im going to pull the motor and check the oil passages with an air compressor per chuck

3 hours ago, Chuck. said:

The cam bushing is a replacable item, replacing the cam is expensive.  You can use a needle bearing that has the same OD as the bushing but they are not avail wit a big enough ID for the cam. You can have the cam end ground to suit a needle bearing (20x28x13).

wow thanks......sounds like a plan.....ill talk to my motor guy about this and see if he wants to do it.....

what happened was i didnt use break-in grease when i put it together, i only used motor oil thinking that was enough.....my motor guy cleaned up the bushing and camshaft and gave me some break-in grease for free.......if you live in maine use therriault's performance he does good work and is a great guy.....one of the last good guys in my opinion

3 hours ago, Daniel627 said:

Hopefully he gets you all fixed up and back in the trails before long. I'd love to see Maine one of these days, from what I've seen it's beautiful! Lots of good riding up there? 

i just got the bike last year and its been 30 years since i last owned one......i dont know the trails out here as of yet but i go on fb and there is an atv club that talks about all the trails in maine and seems to be tons everywhere.....good distances too....with spots to eat and get gas at......but i just ride at a local mx track with trails.....old guys shouldnt try to ride like when they were young......lol......i putt around the track property and venture out on a trail none too far and then come back out to the track area.....too many wild animals out in the woods too......but our great governor did give all residents the right to carry without a license.....which i dont, but maybe someday when i go further out into the wilds

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chuck. said:

My recommendation of leaving the tray dry and kicking wo the plug until oil is to the head assumed the use of assembly lube, which would provide lubrication until oil arrived.

Good to hear there was minimal damage. 

the calipers say im almost to the wear limit on both pieces but if i get a year out of it ill be happy and rebuild her in the winter.....im a pro at tearing her down....lol

5 hours ago, chadzu said:

Could have been the issue. I like to use a molly engine assembly lube on the journals

thanks chad.....i will use it this time for sure.......pays to read your shop manual.....good lesson there kids !!!!!!!!