In Search Of-Showa TC 47MM Rebound Piston Band/Bushing

Like the title says, I'm searching franctically for the teflon-lined band/bushing that goes around the rebound/mid-valve piston inside my Showa TC47MM. My bike is a 2001 Honda CR250R.

I found these; http://www.suspensiondirect.com/shop/sfrpb06

but they show to be for 2005 & later. Can anyone confirm if they will work for my '01? If not, can you link me to where I might find some? I have one that the teflon is coming off of pretty dramatically. The other fork is fine-though I will replace both.

For those of you who are not sure what the heck I'm talking about, look here; SDI_Fork_Rebound_Piston__76627.132754825

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mog, Racetech does not have them. I called them yesterday before they closed and they said they have replacements for their Gold Valves but they DO NOT have them for the factory rebound piston.. Maybe the ones for their Gold Valves will work on my factory pistons? They said "no!" when I asked if they would work with my stock piston-and that I just needed to buy their Gold Valve kit. No thanks.

Got a message out to Smart Performance so hopefully he can get back to me after the long weekend. Going to Red River tomorrow! WHOOP!

6 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

I'd suggest the same route,

on a recent phone conversation I asked them how intricate was it to replace piston bands properly.

Since I have a complete 2nd set of spare forks, as the easiest 'plug and play' option they suggested I could send them my spare pistons,

on which they'd replace and more importantly re-size the piston bands to proper diameter in their shop fixture.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to talk to Dave today and he confirmed that he had an issue getting them mailed out earlier but that they are in the mail now and I should have them in the next day or so. They were not in the mail when I got home today, so hopefully in the next day or so.

• Like 1

I finally called Smart Performance, got voice mail message which said email or text .... so I texted my list of what I was looking for. Almost immediately got text back that he would call back in 10 minutes which he did. I spoke with Dave for probably half an hour, very professional, helpful and honest IMO. He informed me his pressure spring setup was different than most and advised his PS would not work with my stack, but would gladly take my money if I wanted them......how many shops do that anymore?!?!?!? So I placed an order with him over the phone forgot a couple things and was able to amend order by text. Overall GREAT experience so far.

Just an update.. I still have not received my reb. piston bands from Smart Performance. I'm not sure what happened, but I can't wait any longer.

I ordered the bands from http://www.suspensiondirect.com/shop/mx-parts/fork-parts/4-cartridge-rod-parts/d-rebound-piston-parts

I talked to Matt with Suspension Direct on the phone and he said he would have them in the mail TODAY. They are two hours behind us (West Coast) so hopefully I'll have them end of this week.

Will update again once I receive bands... From somebody...

• Like 1

Suspension Direct delivered.... I now have reb. piston bands in my hands.. YEAH!!!!  Now, let's hope that they actually fit. When I called SI they told me that their catalogs did not go back that far (2001). They only had them listed for 2005+ Honda bikes. I was so desperate to get them that I told them to just ship them and let me check them out. I will pull my forks apart tomorrow to install these bands, and also the air bleeders. I think I'm over the missing air bleed situation so I will fix that tomorrow while I have the forks apart. If for some reason these bands are not correct, I will put my 450R forks back on until I can get these '01 forks finished.

Part # SFRPB06 is the part # I received from SI. Everybody cross your fingers!

• Like 1

Please measure the band portion of your RB piston. SDI told me they didn't have it for my 06 450R. Just ordered shims, rod seal, rod bushing, pressure spring and collar. They also didn't have the floating piston seal. Luckily my local FC guy knew the part number not listed on website, part number is FLTPISSEALTC $15ea

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using ThumperTalk mobile app

Well, I got these in the other day; 20170728_155905.jpg

I pulled the right side fork apart as it has the band that had the most flaking off. It's easy enough to get the old band off-so I did not take any pics of that. I just hooked a pic under one side and lifted the band up and away from the piston while I pushed the rest of the pic under the band until I could hook the band and then I just pulled pretty hard stretching the band until it broke. Then, I slipped the new band in a small metal cup with a little water, and heated the bottom of the cup until the water was hot. I used a MAP gas, hand-held, torch to do this. Be careful if you do it this way as it can really heat the water up quickly. I then pulled the band from the water, squirted it with fork oil to act as lube and gently pressed it onto the piston as far as I could without damaging it. Then I used my pic again, the hooked end, to get under the rest of the band that would not slide on the piston. Using the pic I pulled the band slightly away from the piston while at the same time pinching the band with my fingers until it seated. Could not take pics of any of that stuff so this is why I'm typing it out. Once I got the band on the piston, I just happened to have a bushing that is for a transmission. This bushing has a nice beveled edge on the leading edge and I was able to easily push the piston with the new band down into this bushing. I let the bushing/piston/band assembly sit in the fridge while I washed the rest of the parts up to get them ready for reassembly.

This is what it looked like as it came out of the fridge; 20170728_155846.jpg  the copper color you see inside the bushing is the actual babbit material of the bushing, it is NOT the band.

Anyway, I put it back together, but did not tear the left side down. Since I have been running it with a broken air bleeder on this side, I have not really been able to see how this stack will work yet so I just replaced the air bleeder, and the reb. piston band on this side. I figure I will be back in BOTH sides again to change the shim stacks again, I can change the other band at that time.

Riding tomorrow morning in Sam Houston-who's joining me? Will have another update tomorrow after this next ride.

Edited by Kawabuggy
  • Like 1