Sign in to follow this  

XR250R head bolt problem

So I am putting back together my xr after having a new cylinder sleeve installed.

However when I get maybe a 1/2 inch in, the bolts (both white and both blacks) are putting up a lot of resistance.
When I pulled them back out I could see the threads had been "friction-worn" yet these are the bolts I pulled out of this motor.

Since the reputable machinist I used is now closed I hope you all can help.

Does the re-sleeving ovalize the holes and do I need to re-tap them?

Cheers

Daniel

P.S. the holes are deep enough, I checked... no crap in them.

Edited by Sweet Delirium

I think running a tap thru them is what I'd do. You'll never get them to proper torque the way they are.

When I've not had or couldn't find the proper tap in the past, I've filed a relief in about the first 1/4" of the bolt, much like a self tapping screw has, so it can act in a way to cut, re-tap, or clean up hole threads.

• Like 1

trailrider42 is right you can also use a hacksaw and cut on a slight angle works good to. How ever if your going to do this its best to use the highest graded bolt you can find(rather than an un graded bolt) If your realy worried about it. Probably even better to use hellicoils to replace thread iv seen them used wen to high of compression ratio piston used ripped the studs out of the cylinder good luck hope this helps