2008 250SX with 300 kit. - Buy or avoid for Enduro?

I have been looking for bikes and was curious if a 2008 250sx with the 300 kit, larger tank, and suspension work would be a decent trail bike. Not sure if it has a flywheel weight or not, but that could be added as well as a slow turn throttle tube if necessary., and the green spring.

I know this is a motocross bike, but I am curious if it would also make a decent trail bike. I would guess the transmission might be less then perfect for trail riding,the engine might also be a little mental on single track. Hehe!

With this a good year for KTM? I enjoy all sorts of trails, from rocky Black Hills, to muddy woods riding, hill climbing, and cross training. I also ride a 300cc 2 stroke trials bike which is a blast.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Greebe

Edited by Greebe

Check out the cross training enduro guy on  YouTube. Australian guy that does a video on a motocross to woods bike conversion and how it feels. In the end it seems like a lot of work and wasn't worth it

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. The conversion has already been done on a bike I am looking at buying. The guy put a lot of work into it to make it into a woods bike. Just curious if the work has been done and the price is fairly cheap on this clean bike if it would be worth picking up.

You can also adjust the power valve and change pv springs to tame down the power.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. The conversion has already been done on a bike I am looking at buying. The guy put a lot of work into it to make it into a woods bike. Just curious if the work has been done and the price is fairly cheap on this clean bike if it would be worth picking up.

If the price is right and the bike is in solid shape, I say buy it. Ya it might not be perfect but I know I'm not a perfect rider so how can I expect my bike to be perfect. Others have different opinions but I'd rather be riding than searching for the perfect ride. My lame $.02.
  • Like 2

Thanks for the replies. Here are some more specific questions.

1. Does anyone know if the suspension is good on this bike? I have read a lot about crappy KTM suspension, didn't know how this year was.
  2. Is this engine reliable? How often does it need the top end rebuilt? Any issues with this year engine to be aware of?
  3. Would the transmission gearing be fine for off road riding including single track, woods, mountains, etc?
  4. Are there other issues that arise with this bike that I should know about?
  5. What would be a reasonable price for this bike in good condition? (USD)

Picture of the said bike:

08ktm250sx.jpg

Edited by Greebe

I would really appreciate some more thoughts on this bike as I need to make the decision to go buy it or pass and look for something else. Thanks!

No idea on a price, but it sure looks like Ohlins shock and a steering dampener, so it looks like someone took the woods-conversion seriously. I know a couple guys who always bought the SX and then added the necessary woods stuff cuz they preferred the MX ignition map and overall "snappiness" of the SX motor. If the gearing doesn't feel right, just change the countershaft or rear sprocket. Buy it!

• Like 3

When I was shopping a few months ago, that would have been a $3,500 to $4,500 bike depending on how many high $ add ons and overall condition.

• Like 1

Depends how good of a rider you are too. If your average and the bike has been tamed down for the woods and is also a good deal I would pick it up. Top end will depend whether it has been at the track or in the woods. Generally track is higher revs meaning a sooner rebuild then the woods. Suspension is also probably fine unless your getting quite good 

• Like 1

I am going to go look at it here in a few days, if everything is good I think I will pick it up.

• Like 1

If it's in good shape..buy it. You can add a flywheel weight to it. They make fantastic woods bikes

• Like 1

On 7/1/2017 at 0:04 PM, Greebe said:

Thanks for the replies. Here are some more specific questions.

1. Does anyone know if the suspension is good on this bike? I have read a lot about crappy KTM suspension, didn't know how this year was.
  2. Is this engine reliable? How often does it need the top end rebuilt? Any issues with this year engine to be aware of?
  3. Would the transmission gearing be fine for off road riding including single track, woods, mountains, etc?
  4. Are there other issues that arise with this bike that I should know about?
  5. What would be a reasonable price for this bike in good condition? (USD)

Picture of the said bike:

08ktm250sx.jpg

1.  Ohlins shock, which is a nice add.  Forks look like they have work done just by the stickers.  I would ask what was done, and the last time both ends were serviced.
  2.  These 300 engines are very reliable, you can expect 80+ hours on a top end depending on riding style, with some guys pushing past 200 hours.  The engine architecture hasn't changed since the early 2000's, and even then it was minor.  New motor was in 2017.
  3.  Gearing is subjective.  If you like a MX close ratio gearbox you will be fine, but lacking on high speeds if that is even something you get into.  You could also change the ratio to help with high speeds and the 300 has torque to pull the gaps.
  4. Rear wheel bearings have a short life.  Lower shock mount tends to wear out quickly.  Exhaust flange can excessively wear and leak.  Exhaust mounts on frame can crack.  Nothing major IMO for a 10 year old bike.
  5. Price depends on market, but I would say $3500 easily depending on if it looks just as good in person as the picture.

Overall it looks like someone knew what they were doing and created a nice woods weapon.  Depending on price and how it looks in person, I would move quickly if interested.  300's tend to go quick.

• Like 1

She looks nice and well kept. Ask how new the top end is. In the past, my 300 lasted many hours (close to 200) with only a fresh set of reeds needed. And when I let her go, she was still good to go. Buy it if she feels right when you see the bike. 

• Like 1

Well I had arranged to get the bike from him, he said he was going to get back into town tonight and I could come out  to pick it up tomorrow. Then I sent him a message tonight for his address and he said he sold it this evening when he got home. WTF? Not cool. Back to looking for a bike.

Well I had arranged to get the bike from him, he said he was going to get back into town tonight and I could come out  to pick it up tomorrow. Then I sent him a message tonight for his address and he said he sold it this evening when he got home. WTF? Not cool. Back to looking for a bike.

That's such a shitty thing to do to someone. I've had that happen, it burns man. I feel your pain, but as I say, everything happens for a reason. It wasn't meant to be, you'll find something better I'm sure.

That's such a shitty thing to do to someone. I've had that happen, it burns man. I feel your pain, but as I say, everything happens for a reason. It wasn't meant to be, you'll find something better I'm sure.

What he said^^

Thanks guys. The upside is now I can pitch a new bike to the wife. Hehe!

• Like 2